Re: [Slovak-World] Czechoslovakian Carol "How Far Is It to Bethlehem?"

  • b
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
      Hi Frank,
      I found a Czechoslovakian Carol song but i am not sur eit is the one you are looking for.
      Come, all ye Shepherds
      The words and music to this old Christmas carol originated in Czechoslovakia (author unknown). The lyrics were translated, from what was believed to be 12th century Latin, into English by Mari Ruef Hofer in 1912. Music was added in the 15th Century and was adapted Thomas Helmore (1811-1890) in 1854. Helmore graduated from Oxford in 1845.

      Come, all ye Shepherds
      Christmas Carol Lyrics Come, all ye shepherds, ye children of earth,
      Come ye, bring greetings to yon heavenly birth.
      For Christ the Lord to all men is given,
      To be our Savior sent down from heaven:
      Come, welcome Him!

      Hasten then, hasten to Bethlehem’s stall,
      There to see heaven descend to us all.
      With holy feeling, there humbly kneeling,
      We will adore Him, bow down before Him,
      Worship the King.

      Angels and shepherds together we go
      Seeking the Savior from all earthly woe;
      While angels, winging, His praise are singing,
      Heaven’s echoes ringing, peace on earth bringing,
      Good will to men.

      Come, all ye Shepherds
      Christmas Carol Lyrics
      http://www.carols.org.uk/a09-come-all-ye-shepherds.htm
      Bonnie
      panther7775@...

      Plichta <plichta@...> wrote:

      Our Church choir is practicing a song for Christmas and it is identified as
      a "Czechoslovakian Carol."

      Is anyone familiar with this carol? Can anyone send me the Slovak lyrics?

      Title: How Far Is It to Bethlehem?

      How far is it to Bethlehem? Not very far.

      Shall we find the stable room lit by a star?

      Can we see the little Child, is He with-in?

      If we lift the wooden latch, may we go in?

      May we stroke the creatures there, ox, ass, or sheep?

      May we peep like them and see Jesus asleep?

      If we touch His tiny hand, will He awake?

      Will He know we've come so far just for His sake?

      Great kings have precious gifts, and we have naught.

      Little smiles and little tears are all we brought.

      For all weary children Mary must weep.

      Here, on His bed of straw, sleep, children, sleep.

      God in His mother's arms, babes in the brye.

      Sleep, as they sleep who find their heart's desire.

      * * *

      I would like to take the Slovak words to this carol if anyone knows the
      carol and has the Slovak words.

      Thanks,

      Frank

      Frank R. Plichta

      Galax, Virginia

      Bonnie A. Dailey

    • Plichta
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2007
        Thanks Bonnie,

        No, your carol is not the one that I am looking for.

        I typed the title and all of the lyrics in English for the carol that I am
        looking for. I want the Slovak language lyrics for the Czechoslovakian

        _____

        http://www.carols <http://www.carols.org.uk/a09-come-all-ye-shepherds.htm>
        panther7775@ <mailto:panther7775%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com