Re: [Slovak-World] Piekielnik

  • Mwisbach@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
      Donnamarie,

      I am so happy for you. I've been following your search with interest and
      would love to have helped, except that I don't know what I'm doing!

      I have an adopted child, now an adult, and we created an open adoption with
      her birth family outside of the United States. It was a lot of work but well
      worth it. She kept in touch with a family member by email during her teens and
      has been to visit twice. She is very open and positive about it which makes
      her Dad and I happy because we were unsure about whether it was the right
      thing to do. I know all kids are different and have different needs, but for her
      and our family, opening the adoption and meeting her "other" family was a
      great experience.

      Good luck with the rest of your search. It sounds like you have met some
      wonderful people along the way. You are so tenacious. I'm impressed.

      Mary

    • Caye Caswick
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
        Good on ya both! For your daughter's health reasons, I believe open adoptions are probably the smartest plan all-round (although I'm sure there can be some drawbacks) -- but it's always good to have a family medical history as we age.

        Caye

        Mwisbach@... wrote:
[...]

      • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
          Donnamarie,

          I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I work with someone whose surname is Kons.
          Do you suppose you already have their info. or would you like me to put
          you in contact?

          Michelle Maco Mader
          Cleveland, Ohio USA

        • marlboro2005
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
            <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

            > Donnamarie,
            >
            > I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I work with someone whose surname is Kons.
            > Do you suppose you already have their info. or would you like me to
            put
            > you in contact?
            >
            > Michelle Maco Mader
            > Cleveland, Ohio USA

            I would love that !!! Can you put me in contact with them??? I would
            really appreciate it very much !!!!
            You're very kind.

            Donnamarie
          • Donnamarieboyer@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
              Thanks Mary. I was adopted as well. I was able to meet my mother, only once,
              and she died a month later. At age 52.
              It has been hard for me because almost all are deceased and cannot give me
              much information. I was able to get MUCH because my grandfather, Anton Kons,
              from Piekielnik came to USA in 1914 and was drafted into the Army not speaking
              one word of English. He married his sweetheart from Piekielnik in Chicago in
              1918 and they had 4 kids. In 1921, being discharged from the Army, he was
              going crazy and lost it. Never recognized his wife or babies. He was placed in
              Elgin Hospital for the rest of his life. For MY LUCK, I wrote the hospital and
              requested his records and there, in witting I was able to actually
              understand his mind. The nurses had written stories in his file about him thinking he
              was being chased. They also wrote of how much he spent his time praying and
              carrying a cross. The file was about 60 pages. All sorts of stories so I was
              happy to actually knowwwwwwwwww what was going through his mind while he was
              there until he died.
              I am sure he was upset and like many people, regretted having left
              Piekielnik, where his mother and father and 12 brothers and sisters were to come to
              America and find himself in a rat hole for not being educated, speak the
              language and so many children. I feel for him and the rest.
              His son, Edward had married in Chicago and had 4 kids. Wife took off with
              another man and left him alone with 4 kids. Social services took me and my
              sister away and we were given in adoption. I was in foster homes from 2-5 years
              old. Then adopted by a military family and taken overseas to Japan, Bolivia,
              Panama, Puerto, Rico, etc.
              Now I am 56 and have been searching for family for 10 years already.
              Thanks to everyone who has been able to help me understand.

              Donnamarie

            • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
                I sent your information to her. Her name is Pat Kons.

                Michelle

                <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                (GRC-CHC0)"