Piekielnik

  • marlboro2005
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2007
      Hi Everyone. We all know that there are bad things said about My
      Space but....... I would like to comment that if you use it in a good
      way it can serve you as a resourse for genelaogy. When I was
      searching on My Space, I entered the surname Kons and also
      Piekielnik. After attempts of trying to find someone in the Kons
      family I was able to contact someone. I wont mention names but it
      took me, to be able to talk to her parents. I sent her parents
      information on our Kons family and was able to FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
      after years....find out that our actual surname of Piekielnik is
      written Kas. Records here in the USA have the Kons as Kons but in
      Poland back then it is Kons. Her parents called their grandmother in
      Poland and they said that all my surnames are all familiar in the
      town and that we ARE related but dont know down what tree yet. The
      family is going to go to the church in Piekielnik ( which Piekielnik
      only has 1 church I was told, St. Jakub's) and they are going to
      talk to the priest and dig up records for me. I am IN HEAVEN and
      happy that this tecnique of using My Space helped me sooooooooooooo
      much doing my research. We are the only Kons ( Kas ) in Poland (
      Pekelnik) and here in USA the surname Kons ( Kas ) are only few.
      There are one Kons from Germany that go way back but arent ours. Ares
      are Austrian-Hungarian/ Slovak. Now I have to sit and wait while the
      work gets done in Poland for me. Until the priest can actually look
      up dates and take the pictures of my great grandparents cemetery. I
      am only so smotioned you can only imagine !!!!
      Good Luck to all !!!!!!!
      My Best Wishes, I will keep you updated.

      Donnamarie in NM
    • Mwisbach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
        Donnamarie,

        I am so happy for you. I've been following your search with interest and
        would love to have helped, except that I don't know what I'm doing!

        I have an adopted child, now an adult, and we created an open adoption with
        her birth family outside of the United States. It was a lot of work but well
        worth it. She kept in touch with a family member by email during her teens and
        has been to visit twice. She is very open and positive about it which makes
        her Dad and I happy because we were unsure about whether it was the right
        thing to do. I know all kids are different and have different needs, but for her
        and our family, opening the adoption and meeting her "other" family was a
        great experience.

        Good luck with the rest of your search. It sounds like you have met some
        wonderful people along the way. You are so tenacious. I'm impressed.

        Mary

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
          Good on ya both! For your daughter's health reasons, I believe open adoptions are probably the smartest plan all-round (although I'm sure there can be some drawbacks) -- but it's always good to have a family medical history as we age.

          Caye

          Mwisbach@... wrote:
[...]

        • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
            Donnamarie,

            I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I work with someone whose surname is Kons.
            Do you suppose you already have their info. or would you like me to put
            you in contact?

            Michelle Maco Mader
            Cleveland, Ohio USA

          • marlboro2005
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)"
              <Michelle.A.Mader@...> wrote:

              > Donnamarie,
              >
              > I am in Cleveland, Ohio and I work with someone whose surname is Kons.
              > Do you suppose you already have their info. or would you like me to
              put
              > you in contact?
              >
              > Michelle Maco Mader
              > Cleveland, Ohio USA

              I would love that !!! Can you put me in contact with them??? I would
              really appreciate it very much !!!!
              You're very kind.

              Donnamarie
            • Donnamarieboyer@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
                Thanks Mary. I was adopted as well. I was able to meet my mother, only once,
                and she died a month later. At age 52.
                It has been hard for me because almost all are deceased and cannot give me
                much information. I was able to get MUCH because my grandfather, Anton Kons,
                from Piekielnik came to USA in 1914 and was drafted into the Army not speaking
                one word of English. He married his sweetheart from Piekielnik in Chicago in
                1918 and they had 4 kids. In 1921, being discharged from the Army, he was
                going crazy and lost it. Never recognized his wife or babies. He was placed in
                Elgin Hospital for the rest of his life. For MY LUCK, I wrote the hospital and
                requested his records and there, in witting I was able to actually
                understand his mind. The nurses had written stories in his file about him thinking he
                was being chased. They also wrote of how much he spent his time praying and
                carrying a cross. The file was about 60 pages. All sorts of stories so I was
                happy to actually knowwwwwwwwww what was going through his mind while he was
                there until he died.
                I am sure he was upset and like many people, regretted having left
                Piekielnik, where his mother and father and 12 brothers and sisters were to come to
                America and find himself in a rat hole for not being educated, speak the
                language and so many children. I feel for him and the rest.
                His son, Edward had married in Chicago and had 4 kids. Wife took off with
                another man and left him alone with 4 kids. Social services took me and my
                sister away and we were given in adoption. I was in foster homes from 2-5 years
                old. Then adopted by a military family and taken overseas to Japan, Bolivia,
                Panama, Puerto, Rico, etc.
                Now I am 56 and have been searching for family for 10 years already.
                Thanks to everyone who has been able to help me understand.

                Donnamarie

              • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2007
                  I sent your information to her. Her name is Pat Kons.

                  Michelle

                  <mailto:Slovak-World%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mader, Michelle A.
                  (GRC-CHC0)"