Re: [Slovak-World] Death Certificate or death

  • Dennis Ragan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
      Not sure why, but searching LDS records online ( www.familysearch.org ) doesn't seem to yield much in terms of Eastern European records. Maybe others have had better results. I don't think there's much redundancy between the familysearch data and the photographed records on film.
      Dennis

      Donnamarieboyer@... wrote:
      I checked the LDS online and there is no Kons surname or a town of Pekelnik-
      Piekielnik.
      I have tried on occasions to view records in Polish and cannottttttttttttt
      understand or read nothing. Yieks !!!!
      Donnamarie

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
        Yes I did. Nothing

      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
          Dennis, I haven't seen many FHC/CLDS records after about 1905 or so, but that's worth checking into.

          Caye

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
            sometimes: familysearch.org there is a catalog for these smaller town names
            the 1869 Hungarian Census is a good place to start film # 2190346 has a lot
            of information also there were 25 Kons or Cons named most are under
            continental Europe for a small fee you can order the film and can view it a local FHC
            in your area we have had great success with this . Paul Janosik

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
              Correct, nothing when I tried as well -- however, Czech dis out ...

              http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.e-targ.org/Village%2520Photos/PiekielnikInChurch.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.e-targ.org/Village%2520Info/Piekielnik%2520PL.html&h=144&w=216&sz=39&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=aafDGHYxVU-IwM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSt.%2BJakub%2Bchurch%2BPiekielnik%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

              Some interesting links there -- as well as you can post on the message board -- see if someone can provide you the address of St. Jakub Church and then write them a simple letter asking if someone can check into the church records for you -- then you can compensate them appropriately once you determine if there is a willing priest. Don't worry too much about the language, write in English and be brief but specific.

              Caye

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                Hey, lookie what I found:

                Posting # 31Posted on April 5, 2006 12:43 pm (US Mtn Std time)TARG Posting

                Submitter:Motyka
                Location:Chicago IL
                Submitter's E-mail:contact TARG at TatraAreaResearchGroup"AT" gmail"DOT"com ("AT"=@, "DOT"=.)
                Villages, Surnames:Piekielnik: Kowalczyk, Dworszczak; Przyborow: Motyka, Niewdana, Majdak; .
                Comments:I am from the village of Piekielnik and can help if you need some references.

                Search the message board postings -- but I'll bet Motyka can help you out.

                Caye

[...]

                Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                  Those pictures of Piekielnik have an interesting story. I had paid a friend
                  paul, of the web site an amount of money to film the village for me while he
                  was in a town nearby. I was blessed to get a video of almost an hour of the
                  villages and Piekielnik. He spoke to the lady in the church but hadnt gone
                  there to do research for me. Just filming.
                  Gorgeous church, no? I was blessed to have him film for me.
                  If anyone finds anything else............ please let me know.

                  I am forever greatful to all.

                  Donnamarie

                • Carl Kotlarchik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                    I have tried to find records from Pekelnik too but unfortunately,
                    since it is now in Poland, the LDS has not filmed the church
                    documents. In Slovakia, I can only find my family surname in the
                    former Gemer County. But the earliest documents there show that the
                    family moved there in the 1700s from the north. The only other
                    reference I have found to my surname comes from Pekelnik so I have
                    tried unsuccessfully to research this area. Although, I can find
                    immigration records from there, I cannot find any church records.
                    I'd certainly be interested if you are able to locate any records.

                    My family surname is Kotlarc^ik which is the diminutive of Kotlar
                    which would be a coppersmith or kettle maker. So, it is quite
                    possible that the diminutive name in Pekelnik is not even related
                    since the surname of Kotlar is more common.

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Donnamarieboyer@... wrote:

                    > Hi Everyone. My great grandparents were from Pekelnik, Slovakia in
                    the early
                    > 1900's and 1800's. Of course with the border changes it became
                    Piekielnik,
                    > Poland, I believe in 1920. My question............ if they died
                    between 1915
                    > and after, where is it that one can write to request their death? I
                    do not
                    > know what year or day they died but do know that it was between
                    1915, 1920,
                    > 1930.
                    >
                    > Thanks so much in advance, Donnamarie

                  • Sinbad Schwartz
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Donnamarieboyer@... wrote:

                      > I checked the LDS online and there is no Kons surname or a town of
                      Pekelnik-
                      > Piekielnik.
                      > I have tried on occasions to view records in Polish and
                      cannottttttttttttt
                      > understand or read nothing. Yieks !!!!
                      > Donnamarie

                      This page has photos of Piekielnik, PL

                      http://www.e-targ.org/Village%20Info/Piekielnik%20PL.html

                      "The village of Piekielnik was founded in the mid-1500's originally
                      as Pekelnik, Orava county, Slovakia. It took its name from a nearby
                      creek. The border change in 1920 made it part of Poland as it is
                      today. When it began the people worked the peat bogs near the
                      settlement which were later divided among the families and handed
                      down from generation to generation. Beautiful St. Jakub's is the
                      local Roman Catholic church on the hill today overlooking the town's
                      2100 inhabitants."

                      http://tinyurl.com/24r7gd :

                      Is the map showing the location of the village

                      RU
                    • Lucjan Soltys
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 30, 2007
                        Hello Donnamarie,

                        I think that name can be with different spelling in the archives.
                        Kons looks like a slovak spelling of the name phoneticaly it will be
                        very similar to polish spelling: Kas (a with catch is pronaunce as on in
                        polish). Please try the search with this surname also. As far as I know
                        there is a lot of labels with Kons and Kas in Piekielnik cemetary in
                        both Slovak and Polish language.
                        Regarding the archives where you can search for this area it will be
                        Spiska Kapitula (Slovakia):

                        Spisska dieceza
                        Spiska Kapitula 13
                        053 04 Spisk Podhradie