Re: [Slovak-World] Death Certificate or death

  • Edie
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
      Did you also check www.familysearch.org?
      edie
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Donnamarieboyer@...
      To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:16 AM
      Subject: Re: [Slovak-World] Death Certificate or death

      I checked the LDS online and there is no Kons surname or a town of Pekelnik-
      Piekielnik.
      I have tried on occasions to view records in Polish and cannottttttttttttt
      understand or read nothing. Yieks !!!!
      Donnamarie

    • Dennis Ragan

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
          Yes I did. Nothing

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
            Dennis, I haven't seen many FHC/CLDS records after about 1905 or so, but that's worth checking into.

            Caye

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
              sometimes: familysearch.org there is a catalog for these smaller town names
              the 1869 Hungarian Census is a good place to start film # 2190346 has a lot
              of information also there were 25 Kons or Cons named most are under
              continental Europe for a small fee you can order the film and can view it a local FHC
              in your area we have had great success with this . Paul Janosik

            • Caye Caswick
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                Correct, nothing when I tried as well -- however, Czech dis out ...

                http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.e-targ.org/Village%2520Photos/PiekielnikInChurch.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.e-targ.org/Village%2520Info/Piekielnik%2520PL.html&h=144&w=216&sz=39&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=aafDGHYxVU-IwM:&tbnh=71&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSt.%2BJakub%2Bchurch%2BPiekielnik%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

                Some interesting links there -- as well as you can post on the message board -- see if someone can provide you the address of St. Jakub Church and then write them a simple letter asking if someone can check into the church records for you -- then you can compensate them appropriately once you determine if there is a willing priest. Don't worry too much about the language, write in English and be brief but specific.

                Caye

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                  Hey, lookie what I found:

                  Posting # 31Posted on April 5, 2006 12:43 pm (US Mtn Std time)TARG Posting

                  Submitter:Motyka
                  Location:Chicago IL
                  Submitter's E-mail:contact TARG at TatraAreaResearchGroup"AT" gmail"DOT"com ("AT"=@, "DOT"=.)
                  Villages, Surnames:Piekielnik: Kowalczyk, Dworszczak; Przyborow: Motyka, Niewdana, Majdak; .
                  Comments:I am from the village of Piekielnik and can help if you need some references.

                  Search the message board postings -- but I'll bet Motyka can help you out.

                  Caye

[...]

                  Make Yahoo! your homepage.
                  http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                    Those pictures of Piekielnik have an interesting story. I had paid a friend
                    paul, of the web site an amount of money to film the village for me while he
                    was in a town nearby. I was blessed to get a video of almost an hour of the
                    villages and Piekielnik. He spoke to the lady in the church but hadnt gone
                    there to do research for me. Just filming.
                    Gorgeous church, no? I was blessed to have him film for me.
                    If anyone finds anything else............ please let me know.

                    I am forever greatful to all.

                    Donnamarie

                  • Carl Kotlarchik
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                      I have tried to find records from Pekelnik too but unfortunately,
                      since it is now in Poland, the LDS has not filmed the church
                      documents. In Slovakia, I can only find my family surname in the
                      former Gemer County. But the earliest documents there show that the
                      family moved there in the 1700s from the north. The only other
                      reference I have found to my surname comes from Pekelnik so I have
                      tried unsuccessfully to research this area. Although, I can find
                      immigration records from there, I cannot find any church records.
                      I'd certainly be interested if you are able to locate any records.

                      My family surname is Kotlarc^ik which is the diminutive of Kotlar
                      which would be a coppersmith or kettle maker. So, it is quite
                      possible that the diminutive name in Pekelnik is not even related
                      since the surname of Kotlar is more common.

                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Donnamarieboyer@... wrote:

                      > Hi Everyone. My great grandparents were from Pekelnik, Slovakia in
                      the early
                      > 1900's and 1800's. Of course with the border changes it became
                      Piekielnik,
                      > Poland, I believe in 1920. My question............ if they died
                      between 1915
                      > and after, where is it that one can write to request their death? I
                      do not
                      > know what year or day they died but do know that it was between
                      1915, 1920,
                      > 1930.
                      >
                      > Thanks so much in advance, Donnamarie

                    • Sinbad Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 27, 2007
                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Donnamarieboyer@... wrote:

                        > I checked the LDS online and there is no Kons surname or a town of
                        Pekelnik-
                        > Piekielnik.
                        > I have tried on occasions to view records in Polish and
                        cannottttttttttttt
                        > understand or read nothing. Yieks !!!!
                        > Donnamarie

                        This page has photos of Piekielnik, PL

                        http://www.e-targ.org/Village%20Info/Piekielnik%20PL.html

                        "The village of Piekielnik was founded in the mid-1500's originally
                        as Pekelnik, Orava county, Slovakia. It took its name from a nearby
                        creek. The border change in 1920 made it part of Poland as it is
                        today. When it began the people worked the peat bogs near the
                        settlement which were later divided among the families and handed
                        down from generation to generation. Beautiful St. Jakub's is the
                        local Roman Catholic church on the hill today overlooking the town's
                        2100 inhabitants."

                        http://tinyurl.com/24r7gd :

                        Is the map showing the location of the village

                        RU
                      • Lucjan Soltys
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2007
                          Hello Donnamarie,

                          I think that name can be with different spelling in the archives.
                          Kons looks like a slovak spelling of the name phoneticaly it will be
                          very similar to polish spelling: Kas (a with catch is pronaunce as on in
                          polish). Please try the search with this surname also. As far as I know
                          there is a lot of labels with Kons and Kas in Piekielnik cemetary in
                          both Slovak and Polish language.
                          Regarding the archives where you can search for this area it will be
                          Spiska Kapitula (Slovakia):

                          Spisska dieceza
                          Spiska Kapitula 13
                          053 04 Spisk Podhradie