Favorite Phrase

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2007
      Helen Fedor said: "My favorite menu phrase was the translation that
      should have read "flambeed items" (e.g. crepes Suzette). Instead it read
      "the set-aflame dishes".

      My favorite phrase is not a menu item but it is connected with food.
      When I first saw "Non-Stop" referring to a restaurant, I was somewhat
      confused until I realized that it meant "Open 24/7" and not that it was
      a drive-through restaurant.

      William F. Brna

    • Mwisbach@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
        William,

        I am fairly new to the group and don't usually comment. But, that was the
        funniest email! I've made so many bloopers with other languages, I could
        really appeciate the Drive Thru comment. And, could just see flaming bananas on
        Crepe Suzettes! (Which my Slovak/Rusyn Mother used to make as a special treat.)

        I enjoy all of the postings and comments. Thanks for this forum.

        Mary W

      • J. Edward Polko
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2007
          Hi Mary W.

          Crepes Suzettes are called palacinky in Slovak. Another word for your
          growing and glowing vocabulary.

          Best regards,

          John e. Polko