Re: [Slovak-World] Slovak Party and Slovak Festival

  • Marcelko Lorincz
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
      Hi Helene,
      Who organizes these events?
      Marcel

      helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:
      It was wonderful to see so many people from SW at the Slovak Party Sat

      night - we were all amazed at Dr. Q's superb performance on the fujara!

      Bravo!!!!!

      Dr Q is signed up to perform next year!

      The 2008 Super Slovak Party is all set and a Hollywood theme chosen

      and we hope you will plan to attend. It will be held the night before the Slovak

      Festival at Pitt which is always the first Sunday in November.

      Great to see more SW people at the Festival on Sunday - looking forward to

      Fred Kovalyak's pictures.

      helene

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 7, 2007
        Hi Marcel -

        The Slovak Fest at the University of Pittsburgh has been going on for 17 years and it is run by faculty, staff and volunteers led by Chris Metil and Martin Votruba.It's always a wonderful time with so many exhibitors, talks, performances and of course the food!

        The Slovak Party began as a Treasures Tours Reunion about 10 years ago - the night before the Pitt Festival when we invited people living in and near Pittsburgh to meet for a party in our motel room . It has since blossomed into a major event with 70 people flying in this year from California, Florida, Minnesota, Georgia or driving from Wisconsin, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Indiana etc. Since we have taken some 1,636 people on tour to Slovakia over the past 17 years - the party just gets bigger each year. Everyone who loves Slovakia is invited - the more the merrier!

        The Nov 9 Washington DC event resulted from a Slovak Embassy event a number of years ago in which we had a large exhibit from the Baine/Cincebeaux Slovak Folk Dress Collection. It was very well received and when a D. C. organization wanted to spotlight Slovak culture they asked us to work with the Embassy's cultural head, Stella Kukuckova,
        on a parade of treasured Slovak folk dress and feature Slovak music - we have been working on this for 4 years and very excited it is really going to take place at last! We will have 27 people taking part in all their Slovak and Rusyn glory!!!!

        The neat thing about Slovak World is that we can all share info on events and it's really fun when we meet up in person - was great meeting John Matviya for the first time at the Slovak Fest and finally putting a face to an e mail address; and seeing Bill B.; and Mar Kay and Steve Zluky - Steve's gorgeous Strba kroj with the sheepskin vest; 4 buckle wide leather belt and huge black rooster feather decorated hat was the hit of the Pitt parade of Slovak kroj. Lots of others from SW were there too.

        Where do you live Marcel? Do you have any interesting Slovak-related events nearby?

        would you like a copy of our Slovakia magazine?

        Caujko!

        helene

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 8, 2007
          Hi Helene,
          I live in Washington DC. I am interested in all Slovak events in the area. I was born in Slovakia and just came here after graduating from University of Economics in Slovakia 8 years ago.
          Sure, I would like a copy of yuor magazine.

          Thank you,

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
            hi

            glad to send you acopy of Slovakia and welcome articles or comments

            need an address to send it too.

[...]

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
              Four times a year the mailman delivers Slovakia Quarterly to me.

              If you haven't got a copy yet, please email helenzx@...
              to request a sample copy.

              Greg Kopchak

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...>

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                Greg.
                I tried to send an email to helenzx@... requesting that my name be added
                to the Slovak Quarterly snail-mailing list. A return message said this
                address was invalid. Any other address? Thanks.

                Mary

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                  The same here!! Doesn't send an e-mail to her.

                  Donnamarie Boyer

                • J Michutka
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                    On Nov 10, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Mwisbach@... wrote:

                    > Greg.
                    > I tried to send an email to helenzx@... requesting that my name
                    > be added
                    > to the Slovak Quarterly snail-mailing list. A return message said
                    > this
                    > address was invalid. Any other address? Thanks.

                    You're missing an "e" in there: helenezx@...

                    Julie Michutka
                    jmm@...
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 10, 2007
                      Hey all, Helene is @... == NOT aol.

                      ;-D
                      caye

                      --- J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

                      > On Nov 10, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Mwisbach@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Greg.
                      > > I tried to send an email to helenzx@...
                      > requesting that my name
                      > > be added
                      > > to the Slovak Quarterly snail-mailing list. A
                      > return message said
                      > > this
                      > > address was invalid. Any other address? Thanks.
                      >
                      > You're missing an "e" in there: helenezx@...
                      >
                      > Julie Michutka
                      > jmm@...

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • bkoeller
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                        It's also "helene," not "helenzx" - -

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                          No, it's ZX -- check Helene's original posting.

                          Caye

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                            helenezx at yahoo.com

                            Dr. "Q"

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                              Thanks for the full address. I'll resend my request. Mary

                            • bkoeller
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 11, 2007
                                Yes, but I meant the "e" was left out!

                                --- bkoeller <bkoeller@...> wrote:

                                > It's also "helene," not "helenzx" - -

                              • helene cincebeaux
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 12, 2007
                                  Hi Mary and Greg -

                                  please note my e mail address is helenezx@...

                                  thanks

                                  helene

                                  --- Mwisbach@... wrote:

                                  > Greg.
                                  > I tried to send an email to helenzx@...
                                  > requesting that my name be added
                                  > to the Slovak Quarterly snail-mailing list. A
                                  > return message said this
                                  > address was invalid. Any other address? Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > Mary

                                  > removed]

                                  Be a better pen pal.
                                • helene cincebeaux
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 12, 2007
                                    Thanks Caye - i have both - aol and yahoo - either one
                                    works - just home from a 12 day trip and will respond
                                    to all who wrote me.

                                    helene

                                    --- Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                                    > Hey all, Helene is @... == NOT aol.
                                    >
                                    > ;-D
                                    > caye
                                    >

                                    > --- J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    > > On Nov 10, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Mwisbach@...
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Greg.
                                    > > > I tried to send an email to helenzx@...
                                    > > requesting that my name
                                    > > > be added
                                    > > > to the Slovak Quarterly snail-mailing list. A
                                    > > return message said
                                    > > > this
                                    > > > address was invalid. Any other address?
                                    > Thanks.
                                    > >
                                    > > You're missing an "e" in there: helenezx@...
                                    > >
                                    > > Julie Michutka
                                    > > jmm@...

                                    > protection around
                                    > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                    Be a better pen pal.
                                  • helene cincebeaux
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 12, 2007

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 13, 2007
                                        Thanks Helene.

                                        I would love to be added to your mailing list for Slovak Quarterly. My
                                        address is:

                                        Mary Ross Wisbach
                                        52 Josselyn Avenue
                                        Duxbury, MA 02332

                                        Looking forward to it. Is there a charge?

                                        Best,

                                        Mary

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 13, 2007
                                          Hi Mary,

                                          Sending a sample copy of Slovakia quarterly out to
                                          you.

                                          Info on how to subscribe is there too. We have a
                                          yearly membership/subscription fee of $14 for a senior
                                          citizen/student or $17 for a regular membership with
                                          a discount if signing up for 2 years.

                                          I would love to have your surnames for the Slovak
                                          Pride data base - currently have 26,500 listings.

                                          helene

                                        • Mwisbach@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 13, 2007
                                            Hi Helene.

                                            My Maternal Grandfather was born in Faluska, now Hacava. His name is Andras
                                            Hodermarsky. My Maternal Grandmother was born in Bustyhaza, (formerly
                                            Romania) now Bustyna, Maramos, Ukraine. Her name is Maria Bucik/Burchak/Burzak.

                                            My Paternal Grandparents are Scottish.

                                            Is the registry available for anyone to see?

                                            Thanks v much.

                                            Mary

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 13, 2007
                                              Helene
                                              Please add me to your mailing list as well.

                                              Terrie Brown
                                              2230 Saratoga Street
                                              Wisconsin rapids, WI 54494

                                              Please let me know if there is a charge.