Ch.9

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
      Could someone please explain the difference the difference between gendarmes (z~andari) and police? Did gendarmes always have a bad reputation? I remember my mother telling me that when a young man from the village joined the gendarmes (this would have been in the 1920s-1940s, don't have more specific info), his mother was so ashamed that she committed suicide.

    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
        google gendarmerie wikipedia
        vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
          From what I remember from 1955-58 when I went to high school in France, the
          Gendarmes were similar to our State Police in the United States. They
          always were in pairs. You never saw one without the second one near by.
          Most were dressed in black leather jump suits and road Triumph (sp?)
          motorcycles. They were not ones go fool around. If they stopped you, is
          was usually serious.

          Frank R. Plichta

          Galax, Virginia

          _____