The case of the disappearing Slovak-Americans - a P.S.

  • Regina Haring
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
      "But I'm inclined to think that the Czech/Slovak thing paid a large part. There isn't that much consciousness of Slovak heritage in this area because * there aren't that many Slovaks today *, though there is usually a celebration after church in February (for Sts. Cyril and Methodius) where you will find some stuffed cabbage and hauski, but may also find lasagna!"

      Realized that it sounded like I'm agreeing that "there aren't that many Slovaks today".

      But I think that many have moved away from this suburban NYC county - and then too the population has so increased with diverse nationalities that a Slovak presence, which may have been noticeable 100 years ago, is no longer apparent.

      Regina Rabatin Haring

    • Gregory J Kopchak
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 24, 2007
        Would someone check the numbers on Carpatho-Rusyns for the
        same two census dates.

        If memory serves me correctly, Rusyn was added as a choice
        and several Carpatho-Rusyn organizations sent out mailings
        telling their members to use that choice.

        If the number of Rusyns didn't drop to the same degree, this
        may be where some of the Slovaks went.

        Greg Kopchak

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
          But we're talking about a drastic change in only a timespan of 10 years and over the entire U.S.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007
            Greg,
            I looked on the table that David (the person inquiring) sent me with the figures and there's no listing for the Rusyns, but then again, the table is labelled "Ancestries With 100,000 or More People in 2000: 1990 and 2000". Forgive my ignorance, but roughly how many Rusyns are there? Should they have been on this table?

            Even if some of the Slovaks moved to the Rusyn catagory, that still doesn't explain a 58% drop in 10 years. The Czechs dropped by 3% and "Czechoslovakians" increased by 40%. I wonder what accounts for that increase? Slovaks changing categories? And if so, why?

            >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 10/24/2007 6:42 PM >>>
            Would someone check the numbers on Carpatho-Rusyns for the
            same two census dates.

            If memory serves me correctly, Rusyn was added as a choice
            and several Carpatho-Rusyn organizations sent out mailings
            telling their members to use that choice.

            If the number of Rusyns didn't drop to the same degree, this
            may be where some of the Slovaks went.

            Greg Kopchak

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Haring" <rmharing@...> wrote:

            > "But I'm inclined to think that the Czech/Slovak thing paid a large
            part. There isn't that much consciousness of Slovak heritage in this
            area because * there aren't that many Slovaks today *, though there is
            usually a celebration after church in February (for Sts. Cyril and
            Methodius) where you will find some stuffed cabbage and hauski, but
            may also find lasagna!"

            > Realized that it sounded like I'm agreeing that "there aren't that
            many Slovaks today".

            > But I think that many have moved away from this suburban NYC county
            - and then too the population has so increased with diverse
            nationalities that a Slovak presence, which may have been noticeable
            100 years ago, is no longer apparent.
          • vchromoho
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 25, 2007

              > Greg,
              > I looked on the table that David (the person inquiring) sent me
              with the figures and there's no listing for the Rusyns, but then
              again, the table is labelled "Ancestries With 100,000 or More People
              in 2000: 1990 and 2000". Forgive my ignorance, but roughly how many
              Rusyns are there? Should they have been on this table?

              > Even if some of the Slovaks moved to the Rusyn catagory, that still
              doesn't explain a 58% drop in 10 years. The Czechs dropped by 3%
              and "Czechoslovakians" increased by 40%. I wonder what accounts for
              that increase? Slovaks changing categories? And if so, why?

              Certainly you are right, Helen -- I assure you, any movement
              from "Slovak" to "Rusyn" would not account for any noticeable change
              in the # of Slovaks. AFAIK there have never been counted more than
              ~10,000 Rusyns in the U.S. census in the last two censuses. Part of
              the problem is with nomenclature and aggregation of responses. For
              Rusyns there was a change from the 1980 to the 1990 (and I think
              again to the 2000) census with respect to categorizing Rusyns and
              other ethnic groups. For starters, see Paul Robert Magocsi, _Are the
              Armenians Really Russians?--Or How the U.S. Census Bureau Classifies
              America's Ethnic Groups_ (1985), available for purchase here:
              http://www.rusynmedia.org/Links/C-RRC/C-RRC-Pubslist.pdf
              (I can't seem to find fulltext online, so check your library or order
              it if you're interested.)

              Counted as Rusyns were not only those who wrote "Carpatho-Rusyn"
              or "Rusyn" (or "Rusin"), but Ruthenian, Carpathian, and a few others.
              Although unfortunately those who said their ancestry was "Lemko" are
              aggregated with the category of Ukrainian. (I would say from a
              sociological point of view that is not an accurate assessment of the
              greater identity of those who would indicate their ancestry as Lemko!)
            • Dorothy L Fitts
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2007
                Hello Regina,
                I grew up in Spring Valley in Rockland County, NY. My paternal grandparents
                were from what at the time was Czechoslovakia. All of the brothers came to
                the USA. They even ended up Americanizing the name as people had a hard time
                pronouncing and writing it. (We found three different phonetic type
                spellings in the census records.) They wanted to become Americans. They
                still kept to many of the traditions that they knew in the "Old Country".
                Many of my friends and the neighbors came from the area that I later found
                to be Slovakia. The shifting borders in Europe also made it difficult to
                tell your children exactly where your family came from. As an example, my
                paternal grandmother came from Szurte and when she was born it was in the
                northern part of Ung Megye in the Austria-Hungarian Empire. Then it was part
                of Czechoslovakia when she entered the USA, but now it is in Ukraine. Even
                the name of the town has changed spelling somewhat.

                People moved out from NY City and the population changed. The young people
                intermarried and moved from the area. As people moved from the closer in NY
                City suburbs, Rockland County became a new suburb. Real estate prices rose
                as the population grew. The older people moved to less expensive places. So
                did the young that were starting out with their families.

                Dorothy Jasenzak Fitts