Press Freedom 2007

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
      The international journalists' organization Reporters Without Borders
      released its annual rating of the level of press freedom in about 170
      countries. Slovak press has been rated among the freest in the world
      at 1.0 (ranked #3-4), the US at 14.5 (ranked #48). The top countries
      and some of Slovakia's neighbors:

      0.75 - #1-2: Norway, Iceland
      1.00 - #3-4: Slovakia, Estonia
      1.50 - #5-7: Sweden, Belgium, Finland

      4.00 - #14: Czech R.

      4.25 - #16: Austria
      4.50 - #17: Hungary

      14.50 - #48: US

      18.50 - #56-57: Poland, Ecuador

      Martin
    • Scott Mikusko
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 16, 2007
        Sad, isn't it?

        America keeps slipping in many surveys: medical care, standard of
        living, 'freedoms', etc.

        Unless you're in the upper income brackets, life seems more
        precarious...

        -S

        On Oct 16, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

        > The international journalists' organization Reporters Without Borders
        > released its annual rating of the level of press freedom in about 170
        > countries. Slovak press has been rated among the freest in the world
        > at 1.0 (ranked #3-4), the US at 14.5 (ranked #48). The top countries
        > and some of Slovakia's neighbors:
        >
        > 0.75 - #1-2: Norway, Iceland
        > 1.00 - #3-4: Slovakia, Estonia
        > 1.50 - #5-7: Sweden, Belgium, Finland
        >
        > 4.00 - #14: Czech R.
        >
        > 4.25 - #16: Austria
        > 4.50 - #17: Hungary
        >
        > 14.50 - #48: US
        >
        > 18.50 - #56-57: Poland, Ecuador
        >

        > Martin

      • Mark Sabol
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
          It would be sad, if it were true.
          America keeps slipping in many surveys: medical care, standard of
          living, 'freedoms', etc.

          Unless you're in the upper income brackets, life seems more
          precarious...

          -S

          On Oct 16, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Martin Votruba wrote:

          > The international journalists' organization Reporters Without Borders
          > released its annual rating of the level of press freedom in about 170
          > countries. Slovak press has been rated among the freest in the world
          > at 1.0 (ranked #3-4), the US at 14.5 (ranked #48). The top countries
          > and some of Slovakia's neighbors:
          >
          > 0.75 - #1-2: Norway, Iceland
          > 1.00 - #3-4: Slovakia, Estonia
          > 1.50 - #5-7: Sweden, Belgium, Finland
          >
          > 4.00 - #14: Czech R.
          >
          > 4.25 - #16: Austria
          > 4.50 - #17: Hungary
          >
          > 14.50 - #48: US
          >
          > 18.50 - #56-57: Poland, Ecuador
          >

          > Martin

        • ssultonia
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
            It would be interesting to see what criteria they used for evaluation.
            The name of the group "Reporters Without Borders" gives me suspicion
            that it is also a "Reporters Who Want No Rules" kind of an
            organization. Britain, for example, has always had an "Official
            Secrets Act" under which Parliament can literally shut down a
            newspaper over matters they determine to be highly sensitive or
            affecting national secrets (read safety, security, etc.). They rarely
            use it but it is always there.
            Bill

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
            wrote:

            > The international journalists' organization Reporters Without Borders
            > released its annual rating of the level of press freedom in about 170
            > countries. Slovak press has been rated among the freest in the world
            > at 1.0 (ranked #3-4), the US at 14.5 (ranked #48). The top countries
            > and some of Slovakia's neighbors:
            >
            > 0.75 - #1-2: Norway, Iceland
            > 1.00 - #3-4: Slovakia, Estonia
            > 1.50 - #5-7: Sweden, Belgium, Finland
            >
            > 4.00 - #14: Czech R.
            >
            > 4.25 - #16: Austria
            > 4.50 - #17: Hungary
            >
            > 14.50 - #48: US
            >
            > 18.50 - #56-57: Poland, Ecuador
            >

            > Martin

          • Martin Votruba
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
              > It would be interesting to see what criteria they used

              They have a large presence on the net and explain that.

              > Britain, for example, has always had an "Official
              > Secrets Act" under which Parliament can literally shut down

              They rated Britain at 8.25 (rank #24).

              Martin

              > > 0.75 - #1-2: Norway, Iceland
              > > 1.00 - #3-4: Slovakia, Estonia
              > > 1.50 - #5-7: Sweden, Belgium, Finland
              > >
              > > 4.00 - #14: Czech R.
              > >
              > > 4.25 - #16: Austria
              > > 4.50 - #17: Hungary
              > >
              > > 14.50 - #48: US
              > >
              > > 18.50 - #56-57: Poland, Ecuador
            • Armata, Joseph R
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
                Here's who they survyed:

                "The questionnaire was sent to Reporters Without Borders' partner organisations (15 freedom of expression groups in all five continents), to its network of 130 correspondents around the world, and to journalists, researchers, jurists and human rights activists."

                The questionnaire can be found here:
                http://www.rsf.org/article.php3?id_article=24046

                If you look through it, you'll see the questions range from pretty objective (how many journalists were murdered last year) to pretty subjective (do the media report the negative side of government policies - people could argue forever over that).

                Joe

              • Ron Matviyak
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2007
                  Commentary accompanying the rankings is at
                  http://www.rsf.org/IMG/pdf/rapport_en_europe-2.pdf for the European
                  results. If you wish to read about the US and other locations, go to
                  http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=47
                  If the other pages don't have it, the ranking list is at
                  http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639

                  Perhaps there is write up on Slovakia because they found it all in order!
                  Ron