Searching in Slovakia Surname List

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2007
      We have added new surnames this week to the
      "Searching in Slovakia" surname list.

      We hope to add 5 to 10 postings a day until
      the backlog is cleared.

      http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm

      With almost a 20,000+ posting backlog the math
      doesn't look good right now.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
        6-10 YEARS!!!?

        How can I help?

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:

        > We have added new surnames this week to the
        > "Searching in Slovakia" surname list.
        >
        > We hope to add 5 to 10 postings a day until
        > the backlog is cleared.
        >
        > http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm
        >
        > With almost a 20,000+ posting backlog the math
        > doesn't look good right now.
        >
        > Greg Kopchak
        > It's All Relative

      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
          Dr. Q:

          We would love volunteers.

          I would send you a 100K NotePad text file of raw messages.

          You would strip out headers and footers, type the surnames in
          all caps, edit the message for basic grammar and add the
          name of poster and email address on the end.

          The cleaned up posting would look like.....

          NAME, NAME, NAME
          The text of the message corrected for basic grammar
          POSTER NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS

          If you are handy with HTML, you could insert the
          information directly into a posting template.

          Along with four other volunteers we had done this for
          many years but reached a point where the postings came
          through faster than we could handle them. My Outlook
          email program had a 16,383 limit on messages at the time.

          Our four volunteers also got burned out after time.

          Between Searching in Slovakia and Czeching Out Our
          Ancestors we have about 60,000 surnames and searchers
          on line already.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

          > 6-10 YEARS!!!?
          >
          > How can I help?
          >
          > Dr. "Q"
          >
          > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
          >
          > > We have added new surnames this week to the
          > > "Searching in Slovakia" surname list.
          > >
          > > We hope to add 5 to 10 postings a day until
          > > the backlog is cleared.
          > >
          > > http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm
          > >
          > > With almost a 20,000+ posting backlog the math
          > > doesn't look good right now.
          > >
          > > Greg Kopchak
          > > It's All Relative

          > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
          you all the tools to get online.

        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
            Dear Greg,

            I want to help you. I think I can do at least 5/day
            and hopefully more. I can handle HTML.

            Let's get started and maybe some of the other list
            members will help?

            that gives answers, not web links.
          • maxine
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 12, 2007
              Hi Greg, I wish I could help, however, I do not know enough about computers!! However, once again I would like to say THANKS!

              From the bottom of my heart and I am sure other feel the same, YOU have done so much work on your Site for all us, there is not way we can possibly thank you. I have learned so many things about Eastern Europe which I would never have found out if it were not for YOU.
              One day when I learn more about the computer, I would love to help you as YOU helped me!! thanks and God Bless
              maxine sasala vigilante

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2007
                Maxine:

                Thanks for your comments. The group here at Slovak-World
                has some great experts gathered.

                I don't think there is a question that can't be answered
                by some member of the group.

                You could do me a favor. We just opened the 2007 version
                of the World Christmas Forum today.

                http://forums.delphiforums.com/worldchristmas

                If you can, go to the forum and answer one of the starter
                questions we posted. No one wants to be the first person
                to post a reply. It usually takes a week or two to get
                things going.

                Greg Kopchak
                It's All Relative

                --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                > Hi Greg, I wish I could help, however, I do not know enough about
                computers!! However, once again I would like to say THANKS!

                > From the bottom of my heart and I am sure other feel the same, YOU
                have done so much work on your Site for all us, there is not way we
                can possibly thank you. I have learned so many things about Eastern
                Europe which I would never have found out if it were not for YOU.
                > One day when I learn more about the computer, I would love to help
                you as YOU helped me!! thanks and God Bless
                > maxine sasala vigilante

              • ssultonia
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 13, 2007
                  Greg,
                  I think I can help as well. I can handle HTML. I have gained so
                  much from this list and the efforts of you and Bill Tarkulic that I
                  would like to contribute in some way if I can. My availability might
                  be erratic but I can keep plugging away at it. Let me know what I
                  need to do. You can contact me separately at wasmore@...
                  R/Bill

                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> wrote:

                  > Dr. Q:
                  >
                  > We would love volunteers.
                  >
                  > I would send you a 100K NotePad text file of raw messages.
                  >
                  > You would strip out headers and footers, type the surnames in
                  > all caps, edit the message for basic grammar and add the
                  > name of poster and email address on the end.
                  >
                  > The cleaned up posting would look like.....
                  >
                  > NAME, NAME, NAME
                  > The text of the message corrected for basic grammar
                  > POSTER NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS
                  >
                  > If you are handy with HTML, you could insert the
                  > information directly into a posting template.
                  >
                  > Along with four other volunteers we had done this for
                  > many years but reached a point where the postings came
                  > through faster than we could handle them. My Outlook
                  > email program had a 16,383 limit on messages at the time.
                  >
                  > Our four volunteers also got burned out after time.
                  >
                  > Between Searching in Slovakia and Czeching Out Our
                  > Ancestors we have about 60,000 surnames and searchers
                  > on line already.
                  >
                  > Greg Kopchak
                  > It's All Relative
                  >

                  > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > 6-10 YEARS!!!?
                  > >
                  > > How can I help?
                  > >
                  > > Dr. "Q"
                  > >
                  > > --- Gregory J Kopchak <greg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > We have added new surnames this week to the
                  > > > "Searching in Slovakia" surname list.
                  > > >
                  > > > We hope to add 5 to 10 postings a day until
                  > > > the backlog is cleared.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm
                  > > >
                  > > > With almost a 20,000+ posting backlog the math
                  > > > doesn't look good right now.
                  > > >
                  > > > Greg Kopchak
                  > > > It's All Relative

                  > > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
                  > you all the tools to get online.
                  > > http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

                • Gregory J Kopchak
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 13, 2007
                    I will email you a batch tomorrow with instructions.

                    Thanks

                    Greg Kopchak

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 16, 2007
                      Greg,
                      Did you ever email the batch and instructions?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2007
                        491 new surnames were added to Searching in Slovakia Surname List for
                        October 2007.

                        http://www.iarelative.com/search.htm

                        Dr. Q already has hundreds more stacked and ready to go in November

                        Greg Kopchak