RE: [Slovak-World] translation of embroidered phrases

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
      I think the first one is in Croatian: "I love you my darling, I'd give you my life."

      That letter you were unsure of would be z in "zivot" with a mark over the z.

      For the Hungarian one, 24 inches wide was about the maximum width of an average village loom, so that determined the width of the textile. It sounds like homespun linen or hemp.

      Joe

    • Regina Haring
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
        Dear Joe,

        Thank you - there is someone whose mother is Croatian in my grandson's class at school - she met her American husband when he was there in Croatia with the U.N. - and I'll have to show it to her. That's a lovely, romantic saying!
        So the root is some form of "zhiv" - as in Dr. Zhivago, for instance.

        I belong to a spinners and weavers group (as a knitter only) and I'll bring the Hungarian piece to show them. I just can't think what use it could have besides a decorative one - it's too stiff for a dish towel, but it's attractive. It's the fact that the design is only at one end that makes me think it should hang over a rod, perhaps.

        Regina

        I think the first one is in Croatian: "I love you my darling, I'd give you my life."

        That letter you were unsure of would be z in "zivot" with a mark over the z.

        For the Hungarian one, 24 inches wide was about the maximum width of an average village loom, so that determined the width of the textile. It sounds like homespun linen or hemp.

        Joe

      • Linda Hartlaub
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
          Regina,

          In my family, my mother and grandmother used such embroidered pieces as
          dresser scarves. Placing the embroidery so that one would see it upon
          entering the bedroom, and placing the bottles, jewelry boxes, etc., on
          top. They always said it was so they wouldn't have to dust so often. :)

          Linda

[...]

          Want an e-mail address like mine?