translation of embroidered phrases

  • Regina Haring
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
      Doing a bit of fall cleaning and came across two embroidered pieces with sayings on them.

      One I believe I was told was Polish - there is a picture of a young man proposing to a girl, about to put a ring on her finger and it says:

      "Ja Te ljubim dragi moj, dala be Ti *ivot svoj." I'm not sure of the first letter in "*ivot" which has an inverted "v" over it, but I tend to think of the word for live or life? It must begin "I love you my dearest", no?

      It's very attractive, being nicely done in royal blue outline stitch on linen.

      As for the other one, I just Googled and discovered that "Jo reggelt" means "good morning" in Hungarian. There are red cross stitich roses and dark green leaves on heavy, coarse linen, and the words are in red - the design is only at one end. It's over a yard long, and about 24 inches wide - I wonder what its use would have been - it's way too grand for a dish towel.

      Regina

    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
        I think the first one is in Croatian: "I love you my darling, I'd give you my life."

        That letter you were unsure of would be z in "zivot" with a mark over the z.

        For the Hungarian one, 24 inches wide was about the maximum width of an average village loom, so that determined the width of the textile. It sounds like homespun linen or hemp.

        Joe

      • Regina Haring
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2007
          Dear Joe,

          Thank you - there is someone whose mother is Croatian in my grandson's class at school - she met her American husband when he was there in Croatia with the U.N. - and I'll have to show it to her. That's a lovely, romantic saying!
          So the root is some form of "zhiv" - as in Dr. Zhivago, for instance.

          I belong to a spinners and weavers group (as a knitter only) and I'll bring the Hungarian piece to show them. I just can't think what use it could have besides a decorative one - it's too stiff for a dish towel, but it's attractive. It's the fact that the design is only at one end that makes me think it should hang over a rod, perhaps.

          Regina

          I think the first one is in Croatian: "I love you my darling, I'd give you my life."

          That letter you were unsure of would be z in "zivot" with a mark over the z.

          For the Hungarian one, 24 inches wide was about the maximum width of an average village loom, so that determined the width of the textile. It sounds like homespun linen or hemp.

          Joe

        • Linda Hartlaub
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2007
            Regina,

            In my family, my mother and grandmother used such embroidered pieces as
            dresser scarves. Placing the embroidery so that one would see it upon
            entering the bedroom, and placing the bottles, jewelry boxes, etc., on
            top. They always said it was so they wouldn't have to dust so often. :)

            Linda

[...]

            Want an e-mail address like mine?