Re: Questions on ch.5

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2007
      For a view of the current attitudes and German-American interpretation
      of the history of Germans in Slovakia, it may be good to start with
      several pages and some writings by one of S-W contributors, Thomas
      Reimer.
      http://www.geocities.com/ycrtmr/
      and perhaps two variations on the same web page,
      http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/slovak-e.html
      http://www.genealogienetz.de/reg/ESE/slovak.html

      I say German-American much the same as I would say Slovak-American.
      Our American view is not necessarily the same as the home-grown Slovak
      view. There is a lot on politics and not so much on life style and
      culture over the centuries. The writing harks back to the old style
      before the more modern histories and writings started to appear in the
      1990's. Much like the Hungarian writing of the old era the history is
      presented as that of Germans to the point of neglecting other ethnic
      groups (and the Hungarians!) and presenting most all location names in
      German only, making it difficult to follow with modern maps and names.
      Including modern place names in parentheses would be a great help and
      service a broader audience. Recent Hungarian histories seem to have
      overcome these boundaries.

      > Ther Germans and Slovaks seemed to be two groups living side by side
      in Slovakia. Was there much contact/mixing/intermarriage was there
      between the two? Did they consider themselves separate social
      classes, seeing that the Germans were concentrated in the cities and
      mining operations while the Slovaks were mainly farmers?

      > Spiesz mentions the Catholic institutions of higher learning, as
      well as the Protestant lyceum in Pres~ov. Given that the Lutherans
      placed great importance on people reading the Bible for themselves,
      were lower-level Lutheran schools established at this time? Were
      girls also included among the pupils? Were the other lower-level
      schools at that time run mainly by the Catholic Church or the state?