Re: [Slovak-World] 19th cent. occupation/cause of death

  • Margo Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      I agree, Julie. My husband's great grandmother is said to have died this way in 1914: she was carrying a heavy sack of potatoes on a path next to the Turiec River. She became tired and leaned against the fence to rest. The fence collapsed. She fell into the river and drowned. From my perspective, this is an agricultural situation, but her death certificate (which I have not yet located) might say simply that she drowned.

      J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:
      On Sep 27, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Margo Smith wrote:

      > [This is tangential to my question, but there are several aspects
      > about the causes of death that really grabbed my attention. The
      > high rate of infant and early childhood mortality in the farming
      > villages. Families often had many children, but it was not
      > uncommon for all but 2 or 3 to die young. Marasmus among the elderly.

      The records for the time period when my grandfather was born (1891)
      were well-kept, and a child's death was recorded not only in the
      death records but also in the "notes" column of their baptismal
      record. I thought I was seeing a lot of child deaths, so I simply
      counted--exactly 50 % of the babies baptized in 1891 and 1892 in that
      village died before their 5th birthdays. But I don't think it was
      that bad every year.

      Also, some families had a much higher child mortality rate than
      others in the same time period; no way to easily tell if it was
      genetic, economic, or what.

      > Even though farming is a relatively dangerous occupation, I found
      > no references to people dying in agricultural accidents. Of
      > course, perhaps my reaction is cultural.]

      It seems to just vary with the record keeper. Some of them can
      write a sentence or a phrase that evokes a whole story: "found
      frozen in the forest, eaten by wolves" (really!); "killed by train".
      Others write nothing. I wonder if the apparent lack of agricultural
      accidents is due to a lack of mechanical agricultural equipment?
      Just a thought, 'cause when I think of agricultural accidents,
      there's almost always machinery involved. Unless a tree being felled
      lands on someone.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...