Re: Connecting to Czechoslovakia

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
      Old letters and family papers can provide a wealth
      of information.

      I wonder how many old letters are hidden in a box
      somewhere just waiting to be found by the next
      generation.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

      > Although there is certainly more frequent connectivity, now, I am
      thinking about the manifest that displayed a "sponsor" of sorts to the
      town where my grandfather was heading in 1899 as well as letters that
      went back and forth prior to his coming as well as after he arrived
      i.e. letters "back home."

      > Jenna
      >
      > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
      > This month's 800 by 600 Windows wallpaper features a
      > telephone operator from Czechoslovakia.
      >
      > http://www.iarelative.com/history/phone.htm
      >
      > Greg Kopchak
      > It's All Relative

    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
        Right you are, Greg! Last November, when I was in my parents' house getting out some holiday decorations, I discovered a box of about 75 letters written by my maternal grandfather and his brother back to their parents and siblings in Europe, starting in 1913, and continuing when they fled WW I and then returned home after the war. Just in August, when my friends were helping me clean out the attic of the same house, we discovered a large box of letters written to my father, mostly by my mother, starting in 1940 when they were dating. I am learning a lot about all of them as people, and seeing a side of my mother that I never knew existed.

        Margo

        Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
        Old letters and family papers can provide a wealth
        of information.

        I wonder how many old letters are hidden in a box
        somewhere just waiting to be found by the next
        generation.

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

        > Although there is certainly more frequent connectivity, now, I am
        thinking about the manifest that displayed a "sponsor" of sorts to the
        town where my grandfather was heading in 1899 as well as letters that
        went back and forth prior to his coming as well as after he arrived
        i.e. letters "back home."

        > Jenna
        >
        > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
        > This month's 800 by 600 Windows wallpaper features a
        > telephone operator from Czechoslovakia.
        >
        > http://www.iarelative.com/history/phone.htm
        >
        > Greg Kopchak
        > It's All Relative

      • Marianne Petruska
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
          I wish I could say we have family letters dating back to WWI days. We have
          almost 2 dozen letters from the late 30s, written by my grandfather to my
          Mom & grandmother, who moved from the Pittsburgh area to L.A. ahead of him.
          He wrote once a week then posted a letter a day on his train trip west to
          join them. (The letters are all in Slovak & the ink has bled through the
          paper on some of them. One day I hope to have them all photocopied &
          translated into English.)

          MARIANNE

        • pjjano@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
            We also have letters written by my grandfather written to my grandmother
            before they were married 1900 also the letters my mother and father wrote to
            each other during WWII this way we got to know them better Paul Janosik