Connecting to Czechoslovakia

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
      This month's 800 by 600 Windows wallpaper features a
      telephone operator from Czechoslovakia.

      The engraved line drawing is from a stamp issued in
      Czechoslovakia in 1958.

      With the ability to connect to the Czech republic or
      Slovakia in seconds in 2007, it's hard to remember
      that connectivity between Czechoslovakia and the
      United States was not that easy 50 years ago when this
      stamp was issued.

      http://www.iarelative.com/history/phone.htm

      If you install the wallpaper this month, think about
      this lack of connectivity every time you see it.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • jenna-m

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
          Old letters and family papers can provide a wealth
          of information.

          I wonder how many old letters are hidden in a box
          somewhere just waiting to be found by the next
          generation.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

          > Although there is certainly more frequent connectivity, now, I am
          thinking about the manifest that displayed a "sponsor" of sorts to the
          town where my grandfather was heading in 1899 as well as letters that
          went back and forth prior to his coming as well as after he arrived
          i.e. letters "back home."

          > Jenna
          >
          > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
          > This month's 800 by 600 Windows wallpaper features a
          > telephone operator from Czechoslovakia.
          >
          > http://www.iarelative.com/history/phone.htm
          >
          > Greg Kopchak
          > It's All Relative

        • Margo Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
            Right you are, Greg! Last November, when I was in my parents' house getting out some holiday decorations, I discovered a box of about 75 letters written by my maternal grandfather and his brother back to their parents and siblings in Europe, starting in 1913, and continuing when they fled WW I and then returned home after the war. Just in August, when my friends were helping me clean out the attic of the same house, we discovered a large box of letters written to my father, mostly by my mother, starting in 1940 when they were dating. I am learning a lot about all of them as people, and seeing a side of my mother that I never knew existed.

            Margo

            Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
            Old letters and family papers can provide a wealth
            of information.

            I wonder how many old letters are hidden in a box
            somewhere just waiting to be found by the next
            generation.

            Greg Kopchak
            It's All Relative

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, jenna-m <broni03@...> wrote:

            > Although there is certainly more frequent connectivity, now, I am
            thinking about the manifest that displayed a "sponsor" of sorts to the
            town where my grandfather was heading in 1899 as well as letters that
            went back and forth prior to his coming as well as after he arrived
            i.e. letters "back home."

            > Jenna
            >
            > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
            > This month's 800 by 600 Windows wallpaper features a
            > telephone operator from Czechoslovakia.
            >
            > http://www.iarelative.com/history/phone.htm
            >
            > Greg Kopchak
            > It's All Relative

          • Marianne Petruska
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
              I wish I could say we have family letters dating back to WWI days. We have
              almost 2 dozen letters from the late 30s, written by my grandfather to my
              Mom & grandmother, who moved from the Pittsburgh area to L.A. ahead of him.
              He wrote once a week then posted a letter a day on his train trip west to
              join them. (The letters are all in Slovak & the ink has bled through the
              paper on some of them. One day I hope to have them all photocopied &
              translated into English.)

              MARIANNE

            • pjjano@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2007
                We also have letters written by my grandfather written to my grandmother
                before they were married 1900 also the letters my mother and father wrote to
                each other during WWII this way we got to know them better Paul Janosik