Off topic - Does anyone know what happens when a state shuts down?

  • Claudia Medvik
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
      Michigan's governor is threatning to shut the State of Michigan government
      and all agencies, ect. this Monday. Has this ever happened in the US before?
      What happened????

      Claudia

      Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
      http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
        You'll probably go to Canada - Eeh?

        Dr. "Q"

        --- Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:

        > Michigan's governor is threatning to shut the State
        > of Michigan government
        > and all agencies, ect. this Monday. Has this ever
        > happened in the US before?
        > What happened????
        >
        > Claudia

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 28, 2007
          It isn't so bad here. They are telling us that our buck went up by
          60% so we are at par. Well I say it didn't at all. It's the US buck
          that fell 60%.

          Vladi

          At 08:03 PM 9/28/2007, you wrote:

          >You'll probably go to Canada - Eeh?
          >
          >Dr. "Q"
          >
          >--- Claudia Medvik <<mailto:cmmedvik%40msn.com>cmmedvik@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Michigan's governor is threatning to shut the State
          > > of Michigan government
          > > and all agencies, ect. this Monday. Has this ever
          > > happened in the US before?
          > > What happened????
          > >
          > > Claudia

          >Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
          >you all the tools to get online.
          ><http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting>http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting

        • Paul Guzowski
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 29, 2007
            Ahojte/Greetings,

            From experience in Pennsylvania, not much happens as long as the
            shutdown isn't for long. It happened in PA in a recent year when the
            state legislature couldn't or wouldn't pass a budget the governor would
            sign. It only directly affects those who are state employees or those
            who need state services during the closure period. My wife was a
            sub-contractor to the State of Pennsylvania's Dept of Veterans' Affairs
            when it happened and since her boss was a state employee, my wife
            couldn't come to work unsupervised. I think emergency services were
            sustained but if you needed your driver's license renewed or some other
            routine service you had to wait out the shut-down. In the end, I guess
            it depends on why the Governor is shutting down the government.

            Paul in Bratislava
            Homebase in Carlisle, PA, USA
          • Claudia Medvik
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 29, 2007
              Thanks Paul,

              Yah, its over the budget. Big surprise in Michigan with 7% unemployment. But
              we
              also have state funded border patrols, so I'm not even sure the Border will
              open.
              It didn't affect everyone's purchases or paychecks? Didn't stop them from
              being cashed or groceries from being sold? I know they say that there is no
              more liquor to be sound than is on the shelves right now. I wonder if that's
              the same for gasoline? Will we have to drive to Ohio for gas to get to work
              on Monday?

              Could this trigger Federal aide??? We NEED it!

              Claudia

              >From: Paul Guzowski <pauguz@...>
              >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [Slovak-World] Re:Off topic - Does anyone know what happens when a
              >state shutsdown?
              >Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:27:19 +0200
              >
              >Ahojte/Greetings,
              >
              > From experience in Pennsylvania, not much happens as long as the
              >shutdown isn't for long. It happened in PA in a recent year when the
              >state legislature couldn't or wouldn't pass a budget the governor would
              >sign. It only directly affects those who are state employees or those
              >who need state services during the closure period. My wife was a
              >sub-contractor to the State of Pennsylvania's Dept of Veterans' Affairs
              >when it happened and since her boss was a state employee, my wife
              >couldn't come to work unsupervised. I think emergency services were
              >sustained but if you needed your driver's license renewed or some other
              >routine service you had to wait out the shut-down. In the end, I guess
              >it depends on why the Governor is shutting down the government.
              >
              >Paul in Bratislava
              >Homebase in Carlisle, PA, USA

              It�s the Windows Live� Hotmail� you love � on your phone!
              http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/mobilehotmail/default.mspx?WT.mc_ID=MobileHMTagline2
            • jenna-m
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 29, 2007
                I agree with Paul , at least in the case of Pennsylvania, about services being shut down because of not being able to settle on a state budget. While the decision was to maintain all emergency services [hospitals, police, etc]...the services that were shut down were those considered "non-essential" services so access to museums, park services, applying for drivers licenses, passports, etc all were closed [for a brief period]...the other side was that about 1/3 state workers who worked in any state agencies or institutions were put on unpaid furlough.

                Jenna

                Claudia Medvik <cmmedvik@...> wrote:
                Thanks Paul,

                Yah, its over the budget. Big surprise in Michigan with 7% unemployment. But
                we
                also have state funded border patrols, so I'm not even sure the Border will
                open.
                It didn't affect everyone's purchases or paychecks? Didn't stop them from
                being cashed or groceries from being sold? I know they say that there is no
                more liquor to be sound than is on the shelves right now. I wonder if that's
                the same for gasoline? Will we have to drive to Ohio for gas to get to work
                on Monday?

                Could this trigger Federal aide??? We NEED it!

                Claudia

                >From: Paul Guzowski

                >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Slovak-World] Re:Off topic - Does anyone know what happens when a
                >state shutsdown?
                >Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:27:19 +0200
                >
                >Ahojte/Greetings,
                >
                > From experience in Pennsylvania, not much happens as long as the
                >shutdown isn't for long. It happened in PA in a recent year when the
                >state legislature couldn't or wouldn't pass a budget the governor would
                >sign. It only directly affects those who are state employees or those
                >who need state services during the closure period. My wife was a
                >sub-contractor to the State of Pennsylvania's Dept of Veterans' Affairs
                >when it happened and since her boss was a state employee, my wife
                >couldn't come to work unsupervised. I think emergency services were
                >sustained but if you needed your driver's license renewed or some other
                >routine service you had to wait out the shut-down. In the end, I guess
                >it depends on why the Governor is shutting down the government.
                >
                >Paul in Bratislava
                >Homebase in Carlisle, PA, USA

              • john c
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2007
                  I have a co worker in Mich. and the state just tells 35000 employees (non essential they call it) to stay home until they work out the budget. its a "temporary layoss" meaning no stats controlled business is to be conducted until its worked out. my co worker says they had left early friday to buy alcohol because the stores can sell what they have in stock but distribution is not available so what they sell and have in stock will be it until the budget it worked out.

                  not much different as people still go to work except the ones who were told to stay home. (state employees)

                  i'll let you know more on Monday if he calls me for work, i'll pry him for more details.

                  john

                • Mader, Michelle A. (GRC-CHC0)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2007
                    The Federal Govt. has shut down in the past. Essentially it's
                    a gigantic layoff caused by Congress not passing a budget. In
                    that case, everyone goes home except for a few designated emergency
                    people. The consitutents who are being hurt by the shutdown
                    (e.g. Social Security recipients) throw a fit (rightly so) and
                    contact both the press and their representatives. Within a
                    few days to 2 weeks (longest shutdown I remember) a new budget gets
                    passed with whichever political party caused the shutdown believeing
                    they have taught the other side a lesson. The federal employees go
                    back to work and back pay for the time off is normally included in
                    the new budget.

                    Michelle Maco Mader
                    Cleveland, Ohio USA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007