Re: Christmas Seals of Czechoslovakia 1919-1947

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
      Martin:

      Thanks for the information.

      On the next two series of Tuberculosis Seals, am I correct that the
      first set was for the Czechs and the second set for the Slovaks?

      http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/cz_seals2.htm

      The Christmas-Seals Shop was very kind to provide us with photos of a
      nearly complete set of Tuberculosis Seals to use.

      Between the 2 sets of TB stamps we are only missing one year for one set.

      Greg Kopchak

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
      wrote:

      > > "CSL Ochrana Matek a Deti" or "Ochrana Matek a Deti"
      >
      > _Csl._ was the abbreviation for _Czechoslovak_ before WW II, Greg.
      > The stamps helped to collect money for counseling centers for mothers.
      > Most of the money went to the Czechs. Only about 5% of the centers
      > were in Slovakia and 1% in Sub-Carpathia although they had
      > substantially higher birthrates.
      >

      > Martin

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
        > first set was for the Czechs and the second set for the Slovaks?

        Yes. They were more generous to the Slovaks than the mother-child
        foundation. The enormous hospital the Masaryk League built in the
        Tatras is still one of the best in Slovakia.

        Martin
      • Gregory J Kopchak
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
          Are you referencing the Children's Sanatorium in Zelezno founded in
          1920 or another hospital?

          wrote:

          > > first set was for the Czechs and the second set for the Slovaks?
          >
          > Yes. They were more generous to the Slovaks than the mother-child
          > foundation. The enormous hospital the Masaryk League built in the
          > Tatras is still one of the best in Slovakia.
          >

          > Martin

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
            > Are you referencing the Children's Sanatorium in Zelezno founded in
            > 1920 or another hospital?

            I should have clarified which Tatras, Gerg (Zelezno in the Low Tatras
            was older and was then rented by the Masaryk League). They built it
            in the High Tatras (Vysne Hagy). Here's a pic:

            Or log in here first:

            The construction was finished when Slovakia was a separate country
            during WW II.

            Martin
          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              That is a rather spectacular photo of the hospital set into the High
              Tatra mountains.