Re: [Slovak-World] Interesting Slovak Embroidery

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
      The ones you get at ULUV are all hand made and so are mine.

      Vkadi

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
        I have one of these too; mine shows a wedding. I got it about 20 years ago at UL'UV.

        At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

        >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
        >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
        >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
        >put it! Julia M.
        >
        > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
        > > claims to be from Slovakia.
        > >
        > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
        >
        > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
        > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
        > >
        > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
        > >

        > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
          Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

          At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

          >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
          >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
          >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
          >put it! Julia M.
          >
          > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
          > > claims to be from Slovakia.
          > >
          > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
          >
          > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
          > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
          > >
          > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
          > >

          > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

        • J Michutka
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
            On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:06 PM, maxine wrote:

            > Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can
            > be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

            See: http://www.uluv.sk/en/web/home/

            There are several Ul'uv stores in Slovakia; they sell traditional
            crafts. I hit every one I can, when I'm in Slovakia! Last year I
            noticed that a couple had closed since my previous trips; probably
            the above website tells where each is. NB there are at least two in
            Bratislava, one of which is larger and has workshops/classrooms
            behind it, and the last room on the right has all kinds of stuff for
            making folk costumes, really fabulous! It's on Obchodna Ulica, maybe
            a 10 minute walk from Michael's Gate.

            The one in Kosice was gone last summer, but there was another folk
            arts store that sold those embroidered pictures under discussion--I
            know, 'cause I bought one there. That shop is interesting because it
            also showcases and sells the work of artists using traditional arts
            to make contemporary designs. I can't get to the name and address of
            the store right now, but I'll get it tomorrow and post it; it's a
            great place to stop and shop if you visit Kosice, easy to get to,
            just two blocks away from the Hlavna Ulica.

            Aargh, these discussions make me want to get back to Slovakia! Wish
            I could afford to go every year!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...
          • Vladimir Linder
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
              In SLOVAKIA.

              Vladi

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                It doesn't sell embroidery, but there's a blacksmith's shop in the center of Kos~ice that sells traditional and contemporary items. I bought some lovely little fish (made of glass "blobs" surrounded by shaped wire--very nice and they make inexpensive little gifts to bring back) in various sizes. The shop is located on Kovacska (how appropriate) ulica, on the block (or 2) north of Mlynska. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Well, I guess the embroidery is gone! I wonder who won the bid??????

                  ME
                  I had someone bid for me and it is all because of all of YOU! YOU guys gave me the info otherwise I would have never know it was on e-bay!
                  For 2 years or so I have been teaching myself how to use the computer but I have a lot to learn. That is why it is so great when you people talk about somthing, then I know it is around!! The pc will go into my '"Jakubany, Slovakia" room!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 6, 2007
                    I don't know but doing embroidery was fashionable in the early 1900s
                    I have one done by one of my Slovak aunties. My parents just had it
                    in an envelope and I had it framed , it is a picture of roses.

                    Nick