Re: [Slovak-World] Interesting Slovak Embroidery

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
      No It is hand made I have them four seasons of the year. as well. Old
      ladies do it to pass the free time.
      At 09:00 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

      >Vlad, do you think the picture is machine-made embroidery?
      >Regina

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
        The ones you get at ULUV are all hand made and so are mine.

        Vkadi

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
          Greg,
          Thank you. This is so interesting. From the outfits, I wonder if anyone
          can tell the authenticity or the region of the dress.
          Noreen

          This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
          claims to be from Slovakia.

          Be sure to click in the enlarged photos

          _http://rover.http://rohttp://roverhttp://rovhttp://rohttp://&PID=PID=<WB&mpre
          =mpre=<WBR>hmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBR>httpmpre=<WBR>http%m
          pre=<WBR>htmp_
          (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=160152479984&
          category0=)

          If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at

          _http://www.iarelatihttp://www.iarelhtt_

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
            I have one of these too; mine shows a wedding. I got it about 20 years ago at UL'UV.

            At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

            >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
            >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
            >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
            >put it! Julia M.
            >
            > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
            > > claims to be from Slovakia.
            > >
            > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
            >
            > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
            > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
            > >
            > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
            > >

            > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

          • maxine
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
              Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

              At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

              >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
              >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
              >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
              >put it! Julia M.
              >
              > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
              > > claims to be from Slovakia.
              > >
              > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
              >
              > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
              > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
              > >
              > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
              > >

              > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

            • J Michutka
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:06 PM, maxine wrote:

                > Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can
                > be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

                See: http://www.uluv.sk/en/web/home/

                There are several Ul'uv stores in Slovakia; they sell traditional
                crafts. I hit every one I can, when I'm in Slovakia! Last year I
                noticed that a couple had closed since my previous trips; probably
                the above website tells where each is. NB there are at least two in
                Bratislava, one of which is larger and has workshops/classrooms
                behind it, and the last room on the right has all kinds of stuff for
                making folk costumes, really fabulous! It's on Obchodna Ulica, maybe
                a 10 minute walk from Michael's Gate.

                The one in Kosice was gone last summer, but there was another folk
                arts store that sold those embroidered pictures under discussion--I
                know, 'cause I bought one there. That shop is interesting because it
                also showcases and sells the work of artists using traditional arts
                to make contemporary designs. I can't get to the name and address of
                the store right now, but I'll get it tomorrow and post it; it's a
                great place to stop and shop if you visit Kosice, easy to get to,
                just two blocks away from the Hlavna Ulica.

                Aargh, these discussions make me want to get back to Slovakia! Wish
                I could afford to go every year!

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...
              • Vladimir Linder
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                  In SLOVAKIA.

                  Vladi

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                    It doesn't sell embroidery, but there's a blacksmith's shop in the center of Kos~ice that sells traditional and contemporary items. I bought some lovely little fish (made of glass "blobs" surrounded by shaped wire--very nice and they make inexpensive little gifts to bring back) in various sizes. The shop is located on Kovacska (how appropriate) ulica, on the block (or 2) north of Mlynska. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Well, I guess the embroidery is gone! I wonder who won the bid??????

                      ME
                      I had someone bid for me and it is all because of all of YOU! YOU guys gave me the info otherwise I would have never know it was on e-bay!
                      For 2 years or so I have been teaching myself how to use the computer but I have a lot to learn. That is why it is so great when you people talk about somthing, then I know it is around!! The pc will go into my '"Jakubany, Slovakia" room!

                      At 08:14 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

                      >This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
                      >claims to be from Slovakia.
                      >
                      >Be sure to click in the enlarged photos
                      >
                      ><http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
                      >
                      >If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
                      >
                      ><http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm
                      >
                      >Greg Kopchak
                      >It's All Relative

                    • Nick Holcz
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 6, 2007
                        I don't know but doing embroidery was fashionable in the early 1900s
                        I have one done by one of my Slovak aunties. My parents just had it
                        in an envelope and I had it framed , it is a picture of roses.

                        Nick