Re: [Slovak-World] Interesting Slovak Embroidery

  • Vladimir Linder
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
      It isn't old at all. It is worth no more then US$10.. including
      frame. Plus shipping. Plenty of those available in SK. No problem

      Vladi

      At 08:14 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

      >This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
      >claims to be from Slovakia.
      >
      >Be sure to click in the enlarged photos
      >
      ><http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
      >
      >If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
      >
      ><http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm
      >
      >Greg Kopchak
      >It's All Relative

    • Vladimir Linder
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
        No It is hand made I have them four seasons of the year. as well. Old
        ladies do it to pass the free time.
        At 09:00 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

        >Vlad, do you think the picture is machine-made embroidery?
        >Regina

      • Vladimir Linder
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
          The ones you get at ULUV are all hand made and so are mine.

          Vkadi

          At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

          >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
          >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
          >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
          >put it! Julia M.
          >
          > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
          > > claims to be from Slovakia.
          > >
          > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
          >
          > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
          > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
          > >
          > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
          > >

          > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

        • Gregory J Kopchak

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007
                Greg,
                Thank you. This is so interesting. From the outfits, I wonder if anyone
                can tell the authenticity or the region of the dress.
                Noreen

                This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
                claims to be from Slovakia.

                Be sure to click in the enlarged photos

                _http://rover.http://rohttp://roverhttp://rovhttp://rohttp://&PID=PID=<WB&mpre
                =mpre=<WBR>hmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBRmpre=<WBR>httpmpre=<WBR>http%m
                pre=<WBR>htmp_
                (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=160152479984&
                category0=)

                If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at

                _http://www.iarelatihttp://www.iarelhtt_
                (http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm)

                Greg Kopchak

              • Matchett
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2007

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                    I have one of these too; mine shows a wedding. I got it about 20 years ago at UL'UV.

                    At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

                    >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
                    >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
                    >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
                    >put it! Julia M.
                    >
                    > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
                    > > claims to be from Slovakia.
                    > >
                    > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
                    >
                    > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
                    > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
                    > >
                    > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
                    > >

                    > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

                  • maxine
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                      Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

                      At 09:13 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

                      >Greg, I have a similar piece of embroidery featuring the making of wine
                      >that I bought in Slovakia. Although it's machine embroidered, it's
                      >colorful and I like it very much. Now, if I can only remember where I
                      >put it! Julia M.
                      >
                      > > This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
                      > > claims to be from Slovakia.
                      > >
                      > <http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?
                      >
                      > > AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fse
                      > > arch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
                      > >
                      > > If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
                      > >

                      > <http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

                    • J Michutka
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                        On Sep 4, 2007, at 9:06 PM, maxine wrote:

                        > Helen, where is ULUV? Do you or anyone knows of a place these can
                        > be purchased? thanks maxine sasala

                        See: http://www.uluv.sk/en/web/home/

                        There are several Ul'uv stores in Slovakia; they sell traditional
                        crafts. I hit every one I can, when I'm in Slovakia! Last year I
                        noticed that a couple had closed since my previous trips; probably
                        the above website tells where each is. NB there are at least two in
                        Bratislava, one of which is larger and has workshops/classrooms
                        behind it, and the last room on the right has all kinds of stuff for
                        making folk costumes, really fabulous! It's on Obchodna Ulica, maybe
                        a 10 minute walk from Michael's Gate.

                        The one in Kosice was gone last summer, but there was another folk
                        arts store that sold those embroidered pictures under discussion--I
                        know, 'cause I bought one there. That shop is interesting because it
                        also showcases and sells the work of artists using traditional arts
                        to make contemporary designs. I can't get to the name and address of
                        the store right now, but I'll get it tomorrow and post it; it's a
                        great place to stop and shop if you visit Kosice, easy to get to,
                        just two blocks away from the Hlavna Ulica.

                        Aargh, these discussions make me want to get back to Slovakia! Wish
                        I could afford to go every year!

                        Julie Michutka
                        jmm@...
                      • Vladimir Linder
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 4, 2007
                          In SLOVAKIA.

                          Vladi

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                            It doesn't sell embroidery, but there's a blacksmith's shop in the center of Kos~ice that sells traditional and contemporary items. I bought some lovely little fish (made of glass "blobs" surrounded by shaped wire--very nice and they make inexpensive little gifts to bring back) in various sizes. The shop is located on Kovacska (how appropriate) ulica, on the block (or 2) north of Mlynska. Sorry, but I can't remember the name of the shop.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 5, 2007
                              Well, I guess the embroidery is gone! I wonder who won the bid??????

                              ME
                              I had someone bid for me and it is all because of all of YOU! YOU guys gave me the info otherwise I would have never know it was on e-bay!
                              For 2 years or so I have been teaching myself how to use the computer but I have a lot to learn. That is why it is so great when you people talk about somthing, then I know it is around!! The pc will go into my '"Jakubany, Slovakia" room!

                              At 08:14 PM 9/3/2007, you wrote:

                              >This is a very interesting and spectacular embroidery that the seller
                              >claims to be from Slovakia.
                              >
                              >Be sure to click in the enlarged photos
                              >
                              ><http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D>http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-1751-2978-71/1?AID=5463217&PID=2187480&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Fsatitle%3D160152479984%26category0%3D
                              >
                              >If the link doesn't work with your email, I have a click-on link at
                              >
                              ><http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm>http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm
                              >
                              >Greg Kopchak
                              >It's All Relative

                            • Nick Holcz
                              Message 14 of 14 , Sep 6, 2007
                                I don't know but doing embroidery was fashionable in the early 1900s
                                I have one done by one of my Slovak aunties. My parents just had it
                                in an envelope and I had it framed , it is a picture of roses.

                                Nick