Slovak Festival

  • kmerunka
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2007
      PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ
      Sunday Sept. 23. All day entertainment, 9 AM to 6 PM. Soccer
      tournament. Mass 11 AM. Slovak food and craft vendors. Activities for
      children, 12 noon to 4 PM.
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
        This is one of the best festivals. There is so much to do and so many
        things to see. I have gone a number of times and am looking forward to going
        again this year. One year, the archbishop of Slovakia was at the festival,
        celebrated Holy Mass and my friend and I got a chance to see him for a moment.
        There are many vendors, on the side fields are sports activities for younger
        ones, plenty of parking and just a great day. The people who plan for it do a
        great job.
        Let's hope for good weather.
        Noreen

        PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ
        Sunday Sept. 23. All day entertainment, 9 AM to 6 PM. Soccer
        tournament. Mass 11 AM. Slovak food and craft vendors. Activities for
        children, 12 noon to 4 PM.

      • maxine
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2007
          Hi Noreen, you are right, this festival is great. Up until 3 years ago I lived about 15 minutes from Holmdel, NJ in Middletown. It is a very beautiful, country area and I miss it so very much! Just a little info:
          1. Very safe area and Holmdel is about 20 minutes from the Shore.
          2. A number of celebrities live in this area because it is approx. 1 hour from New York, yet still country.
          Bruce Springstein is about 10 minutes from there (his farmhouse) and his other 2 houses are in Rumson about 30 minutes.
          Bon Jovi
          Maury Porich and wife Kity Chaung (spelling wrong) and others
          3.The Art Center, as we call it, has many top billing stars all summer and other festivals. I know they have a Polish one. I am waiting for them to have a RUSYN one and I'm coming to NJ. maxine sasala

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
            So many Rusyn immigrants from Slovakia attend this particular
            festival that it might as well be thought of as a Rusyn festival.
            Even Tom Peters is there with his excellent genealogy booth that
            covers Rusyn and Slovak research. At least twice in the past they've
            had a Greek Catholic divine liturgy (in Church Slavonic) instead of
            an RC mass (in Slovak). And at least three of the soccer teams are
            mostly Rusyn guys: Tatra Slovakia, Litmanova, and Dukla Svidnik.
            (Team Stara Lubovna also has a bunch of Rusyn guys on it.)

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

            > Hi Noreen, you are right, this festival is great. Up until 3 years
            ago I lived about 15 minutes from Holmdel, NJ in Middletown. It is a
            very beautiful, country area and I miss it so very much! Just a
            little info:
            > 1. Very safe area and Holmdel is about 20 minutes from the Shore.
            > 2. A number of celebrities live in this area because it is approx.
            1 hour from New York, yet still country.
            > Bruce Springstein is about 10 minutes from there (his
            farmhouse) and his other 2 houses are in Rumson about 30 minutes.
            > Bon Jovi
            > Maury Porich and wife Kity Chaung (spelling wrong) and others
            > 3.The Art Center, as we call it, has many top billing stars all
            summer and other festivals. I know they have a Polish one. I am
            waiting for them to have a RUSYN one and I'm coming to NJ. maxine
            sasala

          • Fred G Kovalyak
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2007
              Hello All you Slovaks/Rusyns,
              This info sounds like it should be shared with other Yahoo nets.
              But, Please dont shoot me for jumping from one Web to another to share it..
              If my Home were closer I would check out Holmdel,NJ myself. Unfortunately, at 74
              I no longer can pick up and go to many Slovak Festivals.
              However, I have made it a point to return to my Alma Mater (Pitt) each Nov
              to attend the Slovak Heritage Festival. Believe my Cousin Larry Oresick introduced
              me to you last year Rich Custer. Hopefully Larry and his Wife (just got married
              last month) will be there again this year.
              Rich, the next time you see my Uncle Bill Kopchick tell him I said HELLO and that
              he should come to Pitt on 4 Nov to see and hear the Slovak Heritage Festival.
              The Food,Music & Dancing, and Seminars are Great. I also usually purchase
              several items from the many Booths.

              Fred G Kovalyak
              Beautiful Columbia,MD

              > So many Rusyn immigrants from Slovakia attend this particular
              > festival that it might as well be thought of as a Rusyn festival.
              > Even Tom Peters is there with his excellent genealogy booth that
              > covers Rusyn and Slovak research. At least twice in the past they've
              > had a Greek Catholic divine liturgy (in Church Slavonic) instead of
              > an RC mass (in Slovak). And at least three of the soccer teams are
              > mostly Rusyn guys: Tatra Slovakia, Litmanova, and Dukla Svidnik.
              > (Team Stara Lubovna also has a bunch of Rusyn guys on it.)
              >
              > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Noreen, you are right, this festival is great. Up until 3 years
              > ago I lived about 15 minutes from Holmdel, NJ in Middletown. It is a
              > very beautiful, country area and I miss it so very much! Just a
              > little info:
              > > 1. Very safe area and Holmdel is about 20 minutes from the Shore.
              > > 2. A number of celebrities live in this area because it is approx.
              > 1 hour from New York, yet still country.
              > > Bruce Springstein is about 10 minutes from there (his
              > farmhouse) and his other 2 houses are in Rumson about 30 minutes.
              > > Bon Jovi
              > > Maury Porich and wife Kity Chaung (spelling wrong) and others
              > > 3.The Art Center, as we call it, has many top billing stars all
              > summer and other festivals. I know they have a Polish one. I am
              > waiting for them to have a RUSYN one and I'm coming to NJ. maxine
              > sasala

            • votrubam
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26, 2009
                > Is the Slovak Festival at the Univ. Pittsburgh set for November 1 or

                For Nov. 1, 1 PM. I'll post more details as they become finalized:

                <http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/currentinfo/currentinfo.html>