Re: [Slovak-World] Mushrooms...supper

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
      Joe and all,
      At our house, for everyday use, we also had breakfast. lunch and supper.
      Dinner was a term we used for special times such as "having so and so over for
      dinner" , or "who is cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year?"
      I would like to digress a bit about liquor. My mother had seven siblings
      and my father had five living siblings. Dinners were large events. Each
      time, the women all went into the living room after cleanup and then men all
      went into the kitchen. The kitchen table had all the liquor on it and the men
      all sat around the table having a grand time. They brought the drinks into
      the living room for the women. After cleanup, the women just enjoyed the time
      to visit. We kids used to run back and forth or go to play in the bedroom
      with toys. I remember well that we once had a cold water apartment. The
      handle to turn on the hot water heater was located between the sink and the
      stove. Every so often, someone forgot to turn it on and dinner dishes were held
      up for about a half hour waiting.
      Another thing i remember is that as we became modernized, 35-cup electric
      coffee maker, electric roaster oven, etc, the electric fuse would blow and my
      Dad had to go downstairs to change it. We could only plug in one major thing
      at a time.
      Noreen

      There was a pot on the stove all the time . . . and we were served
      the soup at lunch and supper (we never used the
      confusing term - dinner; it was; breakfast, lunch,
      supper).

    • Regina Haring
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
        In our house it was always breakfast, lunch and supper - maybe Sunday afternoon "dinner" and certainly Christmas and Easter dinner.

        My step-granddaughter laughs at my use of the word "supper" because I guess it has gone out of fashion - but I can also laugh at the idea of calling a quick micro-waved hot dog "dinner"!
        Regina

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2007
          For us it was breakfast, dinner, and supper. Dinner was the full, hot-food meal of the day and always at 1:00, seven days a week (my dad worked the 4:00-midnight shift at the steel mill by choice), even if it was only my mom and dad.