Re: Parnica Slovakia Windows Wallpaper

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      Maxine:

      Windows wallpaper is the background you see when the computer first
      starts.

      If you aren't sure how to do it, wait for someone knowledgeable to
      come over your house.

      The prayer scarf in common to both Orthodox and Eastern Catholics and
      can be found in homes from eastern Slovakia to western Ukraine in
      particular.

      I had village pictures or videos taken by both Vladimir Linder and
      Maros Krajnak. They both did a spectacular job.

      I am sure other members of Slovak-World can also make suggestions on
      photographers they have used.

      I haven't picked up your Jakubany photos yet. Will check them out in
      the morning.

      Greg Kopchak

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

      > Hi Greg, first of all I think your web site "its all relative" is
      terrific!!! Thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to
      teach us. I have learned a lot and go to your site all the time. In
      fact I keep finding new things at the site. Questions:
      > 1. What is "windows wallpaper"? It is beautiful but how did it get
      its name?
      > 2. It tell you want to do to make a copy but I do not understand.
      > 3. Prayer scarf's-are they for the Orthodox? They are beautiful and
      I never saw the things being sold on your site. I am missing a lot.
      > 4. Would you say it is a "good thing" to have pictures taken of a
      village? I went to Jakubany 1 1/2 years ago and hope to go back. However,
      > getting the "proper" pictures is hard. Would you say YES to this?
      >
      > thanks Greg, once again your site is terrific and very helpful.
      > PS I sent you some pictures of my Jakubany room to post, however, I
      do not know if you received them. About a week ago. I DO NO how to post.

      Republic.

      > Parnica is a village and municipality in Dolna Kubin District in
      the Zilina
      > Region of northern Slovakia.
      >
      > In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1420.
      >
      > In Parnica there are some original timber chalets with shingled
      roof and a
      > church from the beginning of 20th century with an altar painting by M.
      > Miltrovsky.
      >
      > http://www.iarelative.com/history/parnica.htm
      >
      > Greg Kopchak
      > It's All Relative

    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        Greg, that was an interesting site about Parnica. We drove along those roads on our way to the castle musuem at Orava (Dolny Kubin). I don't recall the drive being particularly treacherous, but I wasn't driving. I was captivated by the breathtaking scenery.

        Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote: Margo

        I ran into a tourist blog on Parnica that warns today about the steep
        hills and sharp turns on the roads in the area.

        http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Slovakia/Parnica-683220/TravelGuide-Parnica.html

        Greg Kopchak
        It's All Relative

        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

        > Small world, Greg.
        >
        > In about 1934, my husband's great uncle was riding his motorcycle
        into Parnica on the road from the southwest (he lived in Martin). He
        went off the road at the little stone bridge and landed in the creek
        bed below. The family has photos of the accident scene with his body
        and cycle in the creek bed. He was buried in the National Cemetery in
        Martin.