Re: Mushrooms

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1 6:03 PM
      > mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them
      >
      > I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
      > edible

      The two most popular ones in Slovak forests aren't too difficult to
      recognize and tell apart from inedible blue-turning mushrooms.

      Both of these are edible -- Slovakia's "best mushroom" _hri'b_ or
      _duba'k_ (boletus edulis) that doesn't turn blue on the right, and the
      popular edible blue-turning _modra'k_ (boletus erythropus) on the left:

      http://tinyurl.com/37a7e5

      This type of _masliak_ (suillus variegatus)is the other fairly popular
      blue-turning mushroom:

      http://tinyurl.com/2g88zq

      There are other blue-turning edible mushrooms in Slovakia that aren't
      as well known, e.g.:

      http://tinyurl.com/32s6dq

      All the edible blue-turning mushrooms need to be cooked, people can
      get sick otherwise. There are other blue-turning mushrooms that are
      not edible because of their taste.

      And this is THE blue-turning poisonous _satan_ (boletus satanas):

      http://tinyurl.com/yrglol

      It remains poisonous after cooking, too. People do take it for an
      edible mushroom sometimes, can get quite sick, but don't die, nor are
      permanently harmed. Slovakia has only one deadly poisonous mushroom,
      but that one doesn't turn blue.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1 8:53 PM
        I remember my Baba always had a pot on the stove with
        "stuff" in it. It was all of the vegetable clippings
        and every now and then there was some meat. The meat
        was usually chicken (she had a chicken coop outside of
        the house) but sometimes it was pork; I don’t remember
        beef in the soup . The pot cooked all day and at
        supper time, everyone got a bowl of what ever it was
        that was cooked that day. My grandfather always put a
        splash of vinegar in his soup ( I don’t know why, but
        he would add the vinegar every time).

        The pot of soup on the stoves is the same thing we saw
        when we visited my cousins in Bardejov. There was a
        pot on the stove all the time . . . and we were served
        the soup at lunch and supper (we never used the
        confusing term - dinner; it was; breakfast, lunch,
        supper).

        My Baba also made "shmear case", I think everyone on
        this list knows the German name for cottage cheese.
        My grandmother was Rusyn (Reuthenian), the Slovak she
        spoke was 100 years old and those are the words I
        remember.

        I send this because at this time I am cooking a pot of
        vegetables and chicken parts (mostly wing tips) to
        make a soup base. I will freeze the chicken stock in
        ice cube trays and we will use it in place of water
        etc. when cooking. This is not a particularly
        interesting or spectacular bit of information but it
        is something we have done over the years.

        We keep the cut off parts of mushrooms (don't mess
        with wild mushrooms unless you really know what you
        doing), carrots peelings, celery ends, and not used
        parts of onions in a bag in the freezer. After a few
        weeks, the whole thing is boiled to a broth in water
        and frozen. (You already heard about the ice cube
        tray).

        Dr. "Q"

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 2 4:09 AM
          Hi - really enjoyed reading this - i have been told
          that the splash of vinegar helps release the good
          stuff in the marrow of the bones.

          My great grandfather made a great garlic soup I have
          been told - he mashed up cloves of garlic and added
          water and goose grease - maybe the modern version
          would be olive oil.I keep meaning to try it - one of
          these days.

          helene

          that gives answers, not web links.