Re: [Slovak-World] Mushrooms

  • David
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi: I picked mushrooms since I was a small kid. Yes, we picked the
      type you are talking about. We called them red-toppers. When you cut
      the stems, they did turn blue/black and when you boiled them they
      were very dark and got kind of mushy, not like the stumpers and rams
      heads. There are look alikes that are bad, but once you knew which
      was which, there never was much of a problem telling them apart. On
      my property I pick up to 70 ramshead mushroom a year, depending on
      rain and cold nights. In fact the season for them is fast
      approaching. Yes, I give them all away.
      Dave Kuchta
      At 05:40 PM 9/1/2007, you wrote:

      >I have a question for those of you who pick mushrooms.
      >
      >Our family has always picked and eaten the types of boletus
      >mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them (I think
      >these are boletus luridus, you can Google some pictures of that
      >at <http://images.google.com>http://images.google.com). But in doing
      >some online research
      >I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
      >edible, and sites that say there are several closely-related
      >species that are hard to tell apart and since some are edible and
      >some not it's best not to eat any blue-staining mushrooms.
      >
      >So I'm wondering what others of you were taught by your families.
      >Do you pick and eat those, or were you taught to avoid them? I
      >was taught that they were good, and we've always eaten them and
      >have never had a problem.
      >
      >Joe

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
        > mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them
        >
        > I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
        > edible

        The two most popular ones in Slovak forests aren't too difficult to
        recognize and tell apart from inedible blue-turning mushrooms.

        Both of these are edible -- Slovakia's "best mushroom" _hri'b_ or
        _duba'k_ (boletus edulis) that doesn't turn blue on the right, and the
        popular edible blue-turning _modra'k_ (boletus erythropus) on the left:

        http://tinyurl.com/37a7e5

        This type of _masliak_ (suillus variegatus)is the other fairly popular
        blue-turning mushroom:

        http://tinyurl.com/2g88zq

        There are other blue-turning edible mushrooms in Slovakia that aren't
        as well known, e.g.:

        http://tinyurl.com/32s6dq

        All the edible blue-turning mushrooms need to be cooked, people can
        get sick otherwise. There are other blue-turning mushrooms that are
        not edible because of their taste.

        And this is THE blue-turning poisonous _satan_ (boletus satanas):

        http://tinyurl.com/yrglol

        It remains poisonous after cooking, too. People do take it for an
        edible mushroom sometimes, can get quite sick, but don't die, nor are
        permanently harmed. Slovakia has only one deadly poisonous mushroom,
        but that one doesn't turn blue.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • Dr. Joe Q
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
          I remember my Baba always had a pot on the stove with
          "stuff" in it. It was all of the vegetable clippings
          and every now and then there was some meat. The meat
          was usually chicken (she had a chicken coop outside of
          the house) but sometimes it was pork; I don’t remember
          beef in the soup . The pot cooked all day and at
          supper time, everyone got a bowl of what ever it was
          that was cooked that day. My grandfather always put a
          splash of vinegar in his soup ( I don’t know why, but
          he would add the vinegar every time).

          The pot of soup on the stoves is the same thing we saw
          when we visited my cousins in Bardejov. There was a
          pot on the stove all the time . . . and we were served
          the soup at lunch and supper (we never used the
          confusing term - dinner; it was; breakfast, lunch,
          supper).

          My Baba also made "shmear case", I think everyone on
          this list knows the German name for cottage cheese.
          My grandmother was Rusyn (Reuthenian), the Slovak she
          spoke was 100 years old and those are the words I
          remember.

          I send this because at this time I am cooking a pot of
          vegetables and chicken parts (mostly wing tips) to
          make a soup base. I will freeze the chicken stock in
          ice cube trays and we will use it in place of water
          etc. when cooking. This is not a particularly
          interesting or spectacular bit of information but it
          is something we have done over the years.

          We keep the cut off parts of mushrooms (don't mess
          with wild mushrooms unless you really know what you
          doing), carrots peelings, celery ends, and not used
          parts of onions in a bag in the freezer. After a few
          weeks, the whole thing is boiled to a broth in water
          and frozen. (You already heard about the ice cube
          tray).

          Dr. "Q"

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
            Hi - really enjoyed reading this - i have been told
            that the splash of vinegar helps release the good
            stuff in the marrow of the bones.

            My great grandfather made a great garlic soup I have
            been told - he mashed up cloves of garlic and added
            water and goose grease - maybe the modern version
            would be olive oil.I keep meaning to try it - one of
            these days.

            helene

            that gives answers, not web links.