Mushrooms

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
      I have a question for those of you who pick mushrooms.

      Our family has always picked and eaten the types of boletus
      mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them (I think
      these are boletus luridus, you can Google some pictures of that
      at http://images.google.com). But in doing some online research
      I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
      edible, and sites that say there are several closely-related
      species that are hard to tell apart and since some are edible and
      some not it's best not to eat any blue-staining mushrooms.

      So I'm wondering what others of you were taught by your families.
      Do you pick and eat those, or were you taught to avoid them? I
      was taught that they were good, and we've always eaten them and
      have never had a problem.

      Joe
    • Cmurraycamphill@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
        Wow. I remember my grandparents, mainly my grandfather picking mushrooms
        amd then letting them dry over the stove. And then eating them in eggs,
        sauaerkrauet. I totally trusted him that he knew what to pick.
        Growing up in the coal region I would love to know what to look for now. I
        gre wup In Windber,Pa

      • David
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
          Hi: I picked mushrooms since I was a small kid. Yes, we picked the
          type you are talking about. We called them red-toppers. When you cut
          the stems, they did turn blue/black and when you boiled them they
          were very dark and got kind of mushy, not like the stumpers and rams
          heads. There are look alikes that are bad, but once you knew which
          was which, there never was much of a problem telling them apart. On
          my property I pick up to 70 ramshead mushroom a year, depending on
          rain and cold nights. In fact the season for them is fast
          approaching. Yes, I give them all away.
          Dave Kuchta
          At 05:40 PM 9/1/2007, you wrote:

          >I have a question for those of you who pick mushrooms.
          >
          >Our family has always picked and eaten the types of boletus
          >mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them (I think
          >these are boletus luridus, you can Google some pictures of that
          >at <http://images.google.com>http://images.google.com). But in doing
          >some online research
          >I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
          >edible, and sites that say there are several closely-related
          >species that are hard to tell apart and since some are edible and
          >some not it's best not to eat any blue-staining mushrooms.
          >
          >So I'm wondering what others of you were taught by your families.
          >Do you pick and eat those, or were you taught to avoid them? I
          >was taught that they were good, and we've always eaten them and
          >have never had a problem.
          >
          >Joe

        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
            > mushrooms that immediately turn blue when you cut them
            >
            > I see sites that say they're poisonous, sites that say they're
            > edible

            The two most popular ones in Slovak forests aren't too difficult to
            recognize and tell apart from inedible blue-turning mushrooms.

            Both of these are edible -- Slovakia's "best mushroom" _hri'b_ or
            _duba'k_ (boletus edulis) that doesn't turn blue on the right, and the
            popular edible blue-turning _modra'k_ (boletus erythropus) on the left:

            http://tinyurl.com/37a7e5

            This type of _masliak_ (suillus variegatus)is the other fairly popular
            blue-turning mushroom:

            http://tinyurl.com/2g88zq

            There are other blue-turning edible mushrooms in Slovakia that aren't
            as well known, e.g.:

            http://tinyurl.com/32s6dq

            All the edible blue-turning mushrooms need to be cooked, people can
            get sick otherwise. There are other blue-turning mushrooms that are
            not edible because of their taste.

            And this is THE blue-turning poisonous _satan_ (boletus satanas):

            http://tinyurl.com/yrglol

            It remains poisonous after cooking, too. People do take it for an
            edible mushroom sometimes, can get quite sick, but don't die, nor are
            permanently harmed. Slovakia has only one deadly poisonous mushroom,
            but that one doesn't turn blue.

            Martin

            votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
          • Dr. Joe Q
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2007
              I remember my Baba always had a pot on the stove with
              "stuff" in it. It was all of the vegetable clippings
              and every now and then there was some meat. The meat
              was usually chicken (she had a chicken coop outside of
              the house) but sometimes it was pork; I don’t remember
              beef in the soup . The pot cooked all day and at
              supper time, everyone got a bowl of what ever it was
              that was cooked that day. My grandfather always put a
              splash of vinegar in his soup ( I don’t know why, but
              he would add the vinegar every time).

              The pot of soup on the stoves is the same thing we saw
              when we visited my cousins in Bardejov. There was a
              pot on the stove all the time . . . and we were served
              the soup at lunch and supper (we never used the
              confusing term - dinner; it was; breakfast, lunch,
              supper).

              My Baba also made "shmear case", I think everyone on
              this list knows the German name for cottage cheese.
              My grandmother was Rusyn (Reuthenian), the Slovak she
              spoke was 100 years old and those are the words I
              remember.

              I send this because at this time I am cooking a pot of
              vegetables and chicken parts (mostly wing tips) to
              make a soup base. I will freeze the chicken stock in
              ice cube trays and we will use it in place of water
              etc. when cooking. This is not a particularly
              interesting or spectacular bit of information but it
              is something we have done over the years.

              We keep the cut off parts of mushrooms (don't mess
              with wild mushrooms unless you really know what you
              doing), carrots peelings, celery ends, and not used
              parts of onions in a bag in the freezer. After a few
              weeks, the whole thing is boiled to a broth in water
              and frozen. (You already heard about the ice cube
              tray).

              Dr. "Q"

              http://sims.yahoo.com/
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 2, 2007
                Hi - really enjoyed reading this - i have been told
                that the splash of vinegar helps release the good
                stuff in the marrow of the bones.

                My great grandfather made a great garlic soup I have
                been told - he mashed up cloves of garlic and added
                water and goose grease - maybe the modern version
                would be olive oil.I keep meaning to try it - one of
                these days.

                helene

                that gives answers, not web links.