Parnica Slovakia Windows Wallpaper

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
      This month's Windows wallpaper features a cabin in Parnica, Slovak Republic.

      Parnica is a village and municipality in Dolna Kubin District in the Zilina
      Region of northern Slovakia.

      In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1420.

      In Parnica there are some original timber chalets with shingled roof and a
      church from the beginning of 20th century with an altar painting by M.
      Miltrovsky.

      http://www.iarelative.com/history/parnica.htm

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • Margo Smith

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
          Margo

          I ran into a tourist blog on Parnica that warns today about the steep
          hills and sharp turns on the roads in the area.

          http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Slovakia/Parnica-683220/TravelGuide-Parnica.html

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

          > Small world, Greg.
          >
          > In about 1934, my husband's great uncle was riding his motorcycle
          into Parnica on the road from the southwest (he lived in Martin). He
          went off the road at the little stone bridge and landed in the creek
          bed below. The family has photos of the accident scene with his body
          and cycle in the creek bed. He was buried in the National Cemetery in
          Martin.

          > Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote:
          > This month's Windows wallpaper features a cabin in
          Parnica, Slovak Republic.

          > Parnica is a village and municipality in Dolna Kubin District in the
          Zilina
          > Region of northern Slovakia.
          >
          > In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1420.
          >
          > In Parnica there are some original timber chalets with shingled roof
          and a
          > church from the beginning of 20th century with an altar painting by M.
          > Miltrovsky.
          >
          > http://www.iarelative.com/history/parnica.htm
          >
          > Greg Kopchak
          > It's All Relative

        • maxine
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
            Hi Greg, first of all I think your web site "its all relative" is terrific!!! Thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to teach us. I have learned a lot and go to your site all the time. In fact I keep finding new things at the site. Questions:
            1. What is "windows wallpaper"? It is beautiful but how did it get its name?
            2. It tell you want to do to make a copy but I do not understand.
            3. Prayer scarf's-are they for the Orthodox? They are beautiful and I never saw the things being sold on your site. I am missing a lot.
            4. Would you say it is a "good thing" to have pictures taken of a village? I went to Jakubany 1 1/2 years ago and hope to go back. However,
            getting the "proper" pictures is hard. Would you say YES to this?

            thanks Greg, once again your site is terrific and very helpful.
            PS I sent you some pictures of my Jakubany room to post, however, I do not know if you received them. About a week ago. I DO NO how to post.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2007
              Maxine:

              Windows wallpaper is the background you see when the computer first
              starts.

              If you aren't sure how to do it, wait for someone knowledgeable to
              come over your house.

              The prayer scarf in common to both Orthodox and Eastern Catholics and
              can be found in homes from eastern Slovakia to western Ukraine in
              particular.

              I had village pictures or videos taken by both Vladimir Linder and
              Maros Krajnak. They both did a spectacular job.

              I am sure other members of Slovak-World can also make suggestions on
              photographers they have used.

              I haven't picked up your Jakubany photos yet. Will check them out in
              the morning.

              Greg Kopchak

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

              > Hi Greg, first of all I think your web site "its all relative" is
              terrific!!! Thank you for all the time and effort you have put in to
              teach us. I have learned a lot and go to your site all the time. In
              fact I keep finding new things at the site. Questions:
              > 1. What is "windows wallpaper"? It is beautiful but how did it get
              its name?
              > 2. It tell you want to do to make a copy but I do not understand.
              > 3. Prayer scarf's-are they for the Orthodox? They are beautiful and
              I never saw the things being sold on your site. I am missing a lot.
              > 4. Would you say it is a "good thing" to have pictures taken of a
              village? I went to Jakubany 1 1/2 years ago and hope to go back. However,
              > getting the "proper" pictures is hard. Would you say YES to this?
              >
              > thanks Greg, once again your site is terrific and very helpful.
              > PS I sent you some pictures of my Jakubany room to post, however, I
              do not know if you received them. About a week ago. I DO NO how to post.

            • Margo Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
                Greg, that was an interesting site about Parnica. We drove along those roads on our way to the castle musuem at Orava (Dolny Kubin). I don't recall the drive being particularly treacherous, but I wasn't driving. I was captivated by the breathtaking scenery.

                Gregory J Kopchak <greg@...> wrote: Margo