Some Slovak-related stuff...

  • durisek
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hi all... Two side-items for Slovak folk....
      Just finished reading The Visible World by Mark Slouka, in which a man returns to the Czech Republic to try to understand his immigrant parents, who have passed away. The second half of the book is set in the early 1940's, and centers around the assassination of Nazi leader Reinhard Heydrich. Historical romance/tragedy.
      Also.... Found a bottle of Elderberry flower drink called Elderflower Presse, bottled by a British company called Belvoir.... it was at my local Fresh Market shop here in KY. It reminded me of the real stuff some friends in Slovakia made when I visited, by soaking the fresh flowers in water with a little lemon powder and sugar...very refreshing. The bottled stuff has some sparkle to it.
      Best... Zuzka D.

    • Matchett
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
        Zuzka, Thank you for writing about this book. Hadn't heard of it and
        would like to read it. I'll be looking for it on line. Julia Matchett