Slovak Festival - University of Pittsburgh

  • Dr. Joe Q
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2007
      Those of you who will attend the Slovak festival in
      November in Pittsburgh will be delighted to see that
      after many months of work and about $5,000,000 the
      Cathedral of Learning has been cleaned. I remember it
      from the 1940-1950’s when I lived in Pittsburgh as a
      tall dark gray building. Now all of the stone is
      clean.

      I heard that professor Votruba couldn't find his
      office last week and thought that it had been
      hijacked!

      Dr. "Q"

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
        > couldn't find his office last week and thought
        > that it had been hijacked!

        ... and wished that they would also sandblast away the piles of paper
        that customarily adorn the desks in the office. 8-)

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
      • J Michutka
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
          On Aug 31, 2007, at 2:02 AM, Dr. Joe Q wrote:
          > I remember it
          > from the 1940-1950’s when I lived in Pittsburgh as a
          > tall dark gray building.

          I've seen a photo of you from one of your posts a few years back; you
          don't look anything like a tall dark gray building. ;)

          (sorry, couldn't resist....)

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...
        • Dr. Joe Q
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
            Dear Julie,

            I don't mind, any chance to shoot one over the bow
            should be taken.

            There is some gray ;-). See the picture of my wife
            and me from Nov 2004. I loaded it in the photo
            section.

            Dr. "Q"

            --- J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

            > On Aug 31, 2007, at 2:02 AM, Dr. Joe Q wrote:
            > > I remember it
            > > from the 1940-1950’s when I lived in Pittsburgh as
            > > tall dark gray building.
            >
            > I've seen a photo of you from one of your posts a
            > few years back; you
            > don't look anything like a tall dark gray building.
            > ;)
            >
            > (sorry, couldn't resist....)
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...

          • J Michutka
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
              On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Dr. Joe Q wrote:

              > There is some gray ;-). See the picture of my wife
              > and me from Nov 2004. I loaded it in the photo
              > section.

              Very nice photo; thanks for sharing it!

              Anyone on the list planning to go to the Slovak Festival in
              November? As far as I know, I'll be there.

              Julie Michutka
              jmm@...
            • bhewlett@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                I plan on going.
                Joyce Hewlett>

                From: J Michutka <jmm@...>
                >Date: 2007/08/31 Fri PM 08:00:40 CDT
                >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak Festival: who's going?

                >On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Dr. Joe Q wrote:
                >
                >> There is some gray ;-). See the picture of my wife
                >> and me from Nov 2004. I loaded it in the photo
                >> section.
                >
                >Very nice photo; thanks for sharing it!
                >
                >Anyone on the list planning to go to the Slovak Festival in
                >November? As far as I know, I'll be there.
                >
                >Julie Michutka
                >jmm@...

              • Dr. Joe Q
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                  Dear Joyce,

                  Everyone expects that you'll be there. It's like the
                  sun coming up.

                  Be sure to bring friends. See you a couple of months.

                  Dr. "Q"

                  --- bhewlett@... wrote:

                  > I plan on going.
                  > Joyce Hewlett>
                  >
                  > From: J Michutka <jmm@...>
                  > >Date: 2007/08/31 Fri PM 08:00:40 CDT
                  > >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak Festival: who's
                  > going?
                  >

                  > >On Aug 31, 2007, at 8:36 PM, Dr. Joe Q wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> There is some gray ;-). See the picture of my
                  > wife
                  > >> and me from Nov 2004. I loaded it in the photo
                  > >> section.
                  > >
                  > >Very nice photo; thanks for sharing it!
                  > >
                  > >Anyone on the list planning to go to the Slovak
                  > Festival in
                  > >November? As far as I know, I'll be there.
                  > >
                  > >Julie Michutka
                  > >jmm@...

                  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                • bhewlett@verizon.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                    Well, "awe shucks"...I didn't expect to be so predictable having only lived in Pittsburgh for 3 years and one month.:>) I will do MY BEST to get my daughter, son-in-law and new grand son there this year. Maybe we should start thinking about a Sat. night before party. Is Penn Hills O.K.?
                    See you then.
                    Joyce

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Dear Joyce,

                      There is the:

                      Party before (Helen does this)
                      The Party (Martin and U of Pitt)
                      The Party after (Brna at a local tevern)

                      Of course you could start something else like the
                      party wa-a-a-a-a-y before. Or maybe the whatever
                      get-together just before but in between wa-a-a-a-a-y
                      after!

                      No one will complain.

                      Dr. "Q"

                    • helene cincebeaux
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 31, 2007
                        Hi Everyone - just home from a super summer although
                        this is the first time I heard the words "stress" and
                        calories in the villages, quite often. There are so
                        many new homes and businesses going up everywhere!
                        Slovakia is changing so fast - right before your eyes!

                        My mother and I will be exhibiting at the Slovak
                        festival at Pitt on Nov 4 and the night before
                        (Sat., Nov 3) Beth will repeat her super Slovak Party
                        beginning at 4 pm - if you want more info please e
                        mail me direct.

                        helene

                        --- "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

                        > Dear Joyce,
                        >
                        > Everyone expects that you'll be there. It's like
                        > the
                        > sun coming up.
                        >
                        > Be sure to bring friends. See you a couple of
                        > months.
                        >
                        > Dr. "Q"
                        >
                        > --- bhewlett@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > I plan on going.
                        > > Joyce Hewlett>
                        > >
                        > > From: J Michutka <jmm@...>
                        > > >Date: 2007/08/31 Fri PM 08:00:40 CDT
                        > > >To: Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com
                        > > >Subject: [Slovak-World] Slovak Festival: who's
                        > > going?

                        > > wife
                        > > >
                        > > >Very nice photo; thanks for sharing it!
                        > > >
                        > > >Anyone on the list planning to go to the Slovak
                        > > Festival in
                        > > >November? As far as I know, I'll be there.
                        > > >
                        > > >Julie Michutka
                        > > >jmm@...

                        > http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222

                        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                      • William F Brna
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                          Dr. "Q",

                          I really hadn't been giving much thought to a party this year, but I
                          guess it's time to start.

                          Bill Brna

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                            Yes, I missed the before party last year, I don't know why. I was putting my bid in for that one this year when I said we should start thinking about Sat. party. I guess Helene is in the back ground here reading all of this - :>) I did make it to the party after. Disappointing turn out. Aside from you, Julie and myself with accompanying spouses and a couple others, I don't remember anyone else being there. We'll see.
                            Joyce

                          • Dr. Joe Q.
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
                              Well, the party after is right after and some folks have to leave then.

                              Bill started it a couple of years ago. The first one had about 25 show
                              up. It isn't anything formal.

                              Dr. "Q"

                            • Caye Caswick
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 4, 2007
                                Since I can't make it again this time (I know I'm a
                                loozer) -- would someone mind posting photos again
                                this year -- and know I'll be there with y'all in
                                spirit!!!

                                Thanks!

                                Caye

                              • julmarie58
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 20, 2007
                                  --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Joe Q" <doctor_jq@...> wrote:

                                  > Dear Joyce,
                                  >
                                  > There is the:
                                  >
                                  > Party before (Helen does this)
                                  > The Party (Martin and U of Pitt)
                                  > The Party after (Brna at a local tevern)
                                  >
                                  > Of course you could start something else like the
                                  > party wa-a-a-a-a-y before. Or maybe the whatever
                                  > get-together just before but in between wa-a-a-a-a-y
                                  > after!

                                  Hi,
                                  My husband & I plan on going to the Slovak Festival in Pittsburgh. We
                                  attended last year, Helene's party and I would like more info on the
                                  get together on Sunday evening for this year. I saw something posted,
                                  but could not find it. Thanks Julianna Sopko Zarzycki