Labor Day Otpust History

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2007
      The Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at Mount St.
      Macrina in Uniontown, Pa., has been held every year since 1934 when it
      celebrated the blessing of the then-newly acquired Motherhouse for the
      Sisters of St. Basil the Great.

      The annual tradition of this special ministry took root the following year
      with the gift of an Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, sent by Pope Pius XI
      with the request that the Sisters spread devotion to the Mother of God under
      this title.

      Pilgrimages are an aspect of all religions, pointing to a universal need.
      In the Christian tradition, a pilgrimage is seen as an occasion for a
      conversion experience – a change in the pilgrim’s life.

      In ages past, the faithful traveled the sacred journey of pilgrimage on foot
      to a holy place or shrine of special significance. Believers walked great
      distances, sometimes enduring considerable personal suffering because they
      knew that the way of getting there was just as important as their
      destination.

      The association between pilgrimage and traveling on foot is preserved at
      Mount St. Macrina through the many processions that take place during the
      weekend, accompanied by the singing of prayers and hymns in honor of God and
      his Mother.

      This symbolic walking on pilgrimage is a reminder that, as a Church, we are
      a pilgrim people on a holy journey whose destination is union with God.

      The Sisters of Saint Basil invite all to share in the many blessings of
      pilgrimage and offer their prayers on your behalf for a spiritually fruitful
      journey of the heart.