Cathoic World Youth Day 2008

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
      World Youth Day was created by a high ranking Roman Catholic prelate with
      Polish Carpatho-Rusyn roots.

      It is now a Catholic tradition.

      Check out the information on World Youth Day 2008 and Pope Benedict XVI

      http://worldyouthday.slu.edu/

      World Youth Day has touched millions over the world.

      Greg Kopchak
      www.iarelative.com
    • maxine
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
        Hi Greg, I have heard many times that Pope John was part Rusyn. Is that true? If yes, where can I read about it? By the way, just wanted to mention and thank you for all of the hard work you have done to teach us about Slovaks and Rusyns. Really appreciate it, especially when someone like myself is fairly new with computers and just plugs along. thanks so much. maxine sasala

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
          Not Rusyn, not Ukrainian. There was one article in the Ukrainian
          American press wherein such a spurious claim was made, but it had no
          citations. All authoritative biographies of the late Pope JP II
          traced his ancestry quite thoroughly and there was no evidence
          whatsoever to show that he had Eastern Slav ancestry.

          If the esteemed pan prevelebny Kopchak has some reliable source that
          demonstrates otherwise, I would be most assuredly delighted to read
          it.

          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

          > Hi Greg, I have heard many times that Pope John was part Rusyn.
          Is that true? If yes, where can I read about it? By the way, just
          wanted to mention and thank you for all of the hard work you have
          done to teach us about Slovaks and Rusyns. Really appreciate it,
          especially when someone like myself is fairly new with computers
          and just plugs along. thanks so much. maxine sasala

        • Edie
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 7, 2007
            I always thought that the late Pope John Paul II was Polish.
            edie

            Not Rusyn, not Ukrainian. There was one article in the Ukrainian
            American press wherein such a spurious claim was made, but it had no
            citations. All authoritative biographies of the late Pope JP II
            traced his ancestry quite thoroughly and there was no evidence
            whatsoever to show that he had Eastern Slav ancestry.

            If the esteemed pan prevelebny Kopchak has some reliable source that
            demonstrates otherwise, I would be most assuredly delighted to read
            it.

            --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

            > Hi Greg, I have heard many times that Pope John was part Rusyn.
            Is that true? If yes, where can I read about it? By the way, just
            wanted to mention and thank you for all of the hard work you have
            done to teach us about Slovaks and Rusyns. Really appreciate it,
            especially when someone like myself is fairly new with computers
            and just plugs along. thanks so much. maxine sasala

          • Gregory J Kopchak
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2007
              A fairy Tale for now....

              A long time ago circa 1976 I invited my parents to a Catholic
              Convention in America.

              To make sure they knew where to go, I took a morning off work to take
              them to the convention site so they wouldn't get lost.

              I needed to be back at work by noon.

              My mother was upset that a Mass they wanted to attend the following
              day was sold out.

              My father was a heavy smoker and went outside to grab a smoke. After
              all, if mom ain't happy, ain't no one happy.

              My father ran into a fellow from Poland. The fellow from Poland
              started a discussion with my father about his last name and Slovakia.
              He offered tickets to the sold out mass to my father.

              We ended up waiting till almost 5:00 p.m. for the tickets to arrive.

              I missed a day at work but the tickets for my parents were front row
              center.

              The fellow did mention his grandmother (or great-grandmother - my
              memory is fuzzy) was baptized in the Ruthenian Church in my presence.

              Being baptized in a Ruthenian Church does not make you Carpatho-Rusyn
              but does give you a remote connection to the Rusyns.

              Greg Kopchak
              It's All Relative