Re: Cheese after wine

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2007
      Jumping back to a 'cheese war' from last February, there was
      discussion about a Slovak-Polish argument for the rights to a special
      cheese from the Tatra Mountain region. I just stumbled across a
      Polish site, in English, presenting their side - and showing a map of
      the area that includes primarily Slovakia. They make some intersting
      statements such as
      "Podhale, nestled high up in the Tatra Mountains on the Polish side of
      the Polish and Slovak border"
      "Podhale has been changing hands of foreign suitors many a time"
      "Although the Tatra region spreads to Slovakia, this type of cheese is
      only made in Poland."
      "The regions of Podhale, Orawa and Spis are all located on the
      southern border of Poland, neighboring Slovakia."

      http://www.american.edu/TED/polish-cheese.htm#IIdentification

      The European commissioners must have had a tough time keeping straight
      faces when they heard the arguments for exclusive rights to this cheese!

      Ron

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Votruba" <votrubam@...>
      wrote:

      > > HAHAHA!!!! An international dispute over cheese
      >
      > Yes, it's become similar to disputes about trademarks. The
      US--Czech > battle over Budweiser, originally also just a regional
      designation, > has still not been legally resolved.

      > The European Union has been granting exclusive rights to the names
      of > various traditional European food products. Should Poland get
      the > exclusive rights to "ostiepok," Slovakia would have to change
      its name > (at least for export). Exclusive "country" rights to, or
      "formula > standards" for the names of a number of traditional
      cheeses, liquors, > other products that didn't use to be trademarks
      have already been > legislated.

      > The EU has speeded up this process somewhat recently, and expanded
      it > enormously. In the past the dispute over the Greek claim to feta
      > cheese, for example, took about 20 years to resolve.
      >
      > BTW, a major pan-European battle going on now is about what
      can/cannot > be called "vodka."

      > Martin
      >
      > votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

    • Paul Guzowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 7, 2007
        Sounds like the age-old argument over the sparkling wine called
        "Champagne"....A similar argument transpired between Hungary and
        Slovakia over Tokay/Tokaj wine. Italy produces wine from Tokay grapes
        and they are grown in California as well but I'm not sure they got into
        the fray. Another such debate, though internal to one country was the
        famous dispute regarding Sacher Torte in Vienna. It was first produced
        when a young apprentice pastry chef named Sacher invented it for a
        special royal occasion while working for the Demel cake and coffee house
        in Vienna. He later left Demel and started his own business, the Hotel
        Sacher, and began producing the cake there. Since Demel was still
        producing the cake a dispute arose over who was producing the "Original
        Sacher Torte" and the case went before a judge. He is said to have been
        really perplexed and finally decreed that Demel could produce the
        "Authentic Sacher Torte" and the Sacher Hotel could produce the
        "Original Sacher Torte".

        Paul in Bratislava
        Homebase in Carlisle, PA
      • Martin Votruba
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2007
          > The European commissioners must have had a tough time
          > keeping straight faces when they heard the arguments for
          > exclusive rights to this cheese!

          I'd think it's more likely that they were yawning, Ron. They've been
          handling similar disputes for years (the feta cheese dispute has
          dragged for two decades) and many more are coming up. And that they
          were happy. They'd be out of their extremely well paid jobs otherwise
          (the EU salaries are incomparably higher than the government salaries
          in D.C.).

          This Slovak--Polish dispute has already been resolved, the way that I
          thought was obvious from the start: surprise, surprise, the Poles have
          the exclusive right to the Polish name _oscypek_ and the Slovaks to
          the Slovak name _os~tiepok_, and what each country sells under the
          name it owns the right to is up to each country's internal standards.

          Why on earth was there even a dispute? There was no single name that
          producers and countries spar about, like rum, feta, vodka, gorgonzola.

          That needed a year of negotiations, taxpayer-funded compensation for
          the diplomats, bureaucrats in Brussels, lawyers, interpreters,
          experts, translators, secretaries, travel, hotels, per diems...

          Martin

          votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
        • Martin Votruba
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
            After Slovakia and Poland settled their ostiepok/oscypek controversy,
            a new Central-European storm over rights to food labels is gathering
            around Slovakia, this time concerning salami and sausages. Bratislava
            applied for the registration of six types of salami, a type of
            frankfurters, of klobasa, and of sausage (s~peka'c~ik). Warsaw wants
            to register two similar types of salami. Prague is planning to
            contest Warsaw's two applications, and Bratislava's application for
            the right to all of those meat products.

            The European Union registers traditional food products from many of
            its members, which then translates to a status comparable to a
            nationally-held trademark.