Re: [Slovak-World] Godparents

  • Michelle Burke
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3 6:56 PM
      None of the godparents in my family were married to each other (my parents were both first-generation Americans), and most of them were brothers/sisters of my parents. However, my godmother was my mother's best friend -- unrelated, and I always called her "Aunt" Christine.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 8 10:28 AM
        GC?

        --- Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the Armata info. My mother was a 1st
        > generation American of
        > Carpatho-Rus/Ruthenian/Slovak ancestry & she too had
        > godparents who were
        > married to each other & she always referred to them
        > as "Aunt" & "Uncle" (or
        > the Slovak equivalent for those) though we've yet to
        > determine that they
        > were related by either blood or marriage. (And she
        > did know their first
        > names.)
        >
        > I was baptized twice: Within 2 weeks of birth as GC
        > & 6 months later as RC
        > (& raised RC) -- and neither set of godparents were
        > married couples. Mom
        > always said her father insisted I be baptized as
        > soon after birth as
        > possible, hence the GC baptism. Dad was baptized GC
        > but was raised RC &
        > insisted I be re-baptized RC. I vaguely remember
        > my GC godmother; both my
        > godfathers passed away when I was a toddler.
        >
        > I had a wonderful relationship with my RC godmother
        > who considered herself
        > more my grandmother (both of mine died prior to my
        > birth). My RC
        > godmother's daughter & my mother (both only
        > children) called each other
        > "sister". To me, my godmother's daughter is "Aunt"
        > because of the sisterly
        > relationship she had with my mother.
        >
        > MARIANNE
        >
        > On 8/2/07, William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Joseph Armata writes: "There's no provision that
        > godparents must be
        > > married to each other..." I am a first generation
        > American of Slovak
        > > ancestry. My godfparents were, in fact, married to
        > each other. While I
        > > was growing up, we maintained a close
        > relationship. I did not know their
        > > first names. They were "krstniotec" and
        > "krstnamat' " whenever they were
        > > referred to.
        > >
        > > William F. Brna

        > removed]

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
      • Marianne Petruska
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8 4:20 PM
          "GC" = Greek Catholic; "RC" = Roman Catholic

          I have a photo of my Mom in front of the church where my 1st baptism was
          held & the sign next to her says that the church was "Greco-Slav", yet Mom
          referred to it as "Byzantine". The church Mom & I sometimes attended in
          Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys area of CA was considered "Byzantine" & at one time
          the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Van Nuys was there. (Tho' it's now in
          Phoenix, Arizona, it's still called "Epharchy of Van Nuys".)

          MARIANNE

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8 8:20 PM
            Ms. Petruska:

            Thank you.

            You would be right @ home on the Epiphany in Tarpon
            Springs, FL. You should consider a visit some
            January.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpon_Springs,_Florida

            And the Innes paintings l@ the Universalist church are
            also worth a look:

            http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/arch2/tarponsprings/innesch.jpg

            Consider it.

            Regards,
            Chuck Wychunas

            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 9 6:31 AM
              Same in my family -- mom's mom was Greek Catholic then
              upon landing here (Cleveland) was Russian Orthodox,
              raised my mom RO -- who married a nice Polish boy in
              the 1950's -- so had to raise us kids Roman Catholic
              -- but gram took us to her church about as often as we
              went to church with my folks. This Summer I'm hosting
              a cousin from Gram's village in Slovakia who's been
              coming to church with me (I converted to Orthodoxy, as
              that's what mom would have baptized me if Vatican II
              had already occurred). Since my cousin is Greek
              Catholic, she cannot receive Communion in my church
              and has asked me to take her to a Byzantine or
              Ukrainian Catholic church so she can receive -- it's
              been a fun journey.

              Caye