Godparents

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
      Joseph Armata writes: "There's no provision that godparents must be
      married to each other..." I am a first generation American of Slovak
      ancestry. My godfparents were, in fact, married to each other. While I
      was growing up, we maintained a close relationship. I did not know their
      first names. They were "krstniotec" and "krstnamat' " whenever they were
      referred to.

      William F. Brna
    • Marianne Petruska
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
        Thanks for the Armata info. My mother was a 1st generation American of
        Carpatho-Rus/Ruthenian/Slovak ancestry & she too had godparents who were
        married to each other & she always referred to them as "Aunt" & "Uncle" (or
        the Slovak equivalent for those) though we've yet to determine that they
        were related by either blood or marriage. (And she did know their first
        names.)

        I was baptized twice: Within 2 weeks of birth as GC & 6 months later as RC
        (& raised RC) -- and neither set of godparents were married couples. Mom
        always said her father insisted I be baptized as soon after birth as
        possible, hence the GC baptism. Dad was baptized GC but was raised RC &
        insisted I be re-baptized RC. I vaguely remember my GC godmother; both my
        godfathers passed away when I was a toddler.

        I had a wonderful relationship with my RC godmother who considered herself
        more my grandmother (both of mine died prior to my birth). My RC
        godmother's daughter & my mother (both only children) called each other
        "sister". To me, my godmother's daughter is "Aunt" because of the sisterly
        relationship she had with my mother.

        MARIANNE

        On 8/2/07, William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:

        > Joseph Armata writes: "There's no provision that godparents must be
        > married to each other..." I am a first generation American of Slovak
        > ancestry. My godfparents were, in fact, married to each other. While I
        > was growing up, we maintained a close relationship. I did not know their
        > first names. They were "krstniotec" and "krstnamat' " whenever they were
        > referred to.
        >
        > William F. Brna

      • Michelle Burke
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2007
          None of the godparents in my family were married to each other (my parents were both first-generation Americans), and most of them were brothers/sisters of my parents. However, my godmother was my mother's best friend -- unrelated, and I always called her "Aunt" Christine.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
            GC?

            --- Marianne Petruska <marianne50614@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the Armata info. My mother was a 1st
            > generation American of
            > Carpatho-Rus/Ruthenian/Slovak ancestry & she too had
            > godparents who were
            > married to each other & she always referred to them
            > as "Aunt" & "Uncle" (or
            > the Slovak equivalent for those) though we've yet to
            > determine that they
            > were related by either blood or marriage. (And she
            > did know their first
            > names.)
            >
            > I was baptized twice: Within 2 weeks of birth as GC
            > & 6 months later as RC
            > (& raised RC) -- and neither set of godparents were
            > married couples. Mom
            > always said her father insisted I be baptized as
            > soon after birth as
            > possible, hence the GC baptism. Dad was baptized GC
            > but was raised RC &
            > insisted I be re-baptized RC. I vaguely remember
            > my GC godmother; both my
            > godfathers passed away when I was a toddler.
            >
            > I had a wonderful relationship with my RC godmother
            > who considered herself
            > more my grandmother (both of mine died prior to my
            > birth). My RC
            > godmother's daughter & my mother (both only
            > children) called each other
            > "sister". To me, my godmother's daughter is "Aunt"
            > because of the sisterly
            > relationship she had with my mother.
            >
            > MARIANNE
            >
            > On 8/2/07, William F Brna <wfbrna@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Joseph Armata writes: "There's no provision that
            > godparents must be
            > > married to each other..." I am a first generation
            > American of Slovak
            > > ancestry. My godfparents were, in fact, married to
            > each other. While I
            > > was growing up, we maintained a close
            > relationship. I did not know their
            > > first names. They were "krstniotec" and
            > "krstnamat' " whenever they were
            > > referred to.
            > >
            > > William F. Brna

            > removed]

            http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
          • Marianne Petruska
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
              "GC" = Greek Catholic; "RC" = Roman Catholic

              I have a photo of my Mom in front of the church where my 1st baptism was
              held & the sign next to her says that the church was "Greco-Slav", yet Mom
              referred to it as "Byzantine". The church Mom & I sometimes attended in
              Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys area of CA was considered "Byzantine" & at one time
              the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Van Nuys was there. (Tho' it's now in
              Phoenix, Arizona, it's still called "Epharchy of Van Nuys".)

              MARIANNE

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 8, 2007
                Ms. Petruska:

                Thank you.

                You would be right @ home on the Epiphany in Tarpon
                Springs, FL. You should consider a visit some
                January.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarpon_Springs,_Florida

                And the Innes paintings l@ the Universalist church are
                also worth a look:

                http://www.floridahistory.org/westcoastfla/arch2/tarponsprings/innesch.jpg

                Consider it.

                Regards,
                Chuck Wychunas

                http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
              • Caye Caswick
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
                  Same in my family -- mom's mom was Greek Catholic then
                  upon landing here (Cleveland) was Russian Orthodox,
                  raised my mom RO -- who married a nice Polish boy in
                  the 1950's -- so had to raise us kids Roman Catholic
                  -- but gram took us to her church about as often as we
                  went to church with my folks. This Summer I'm hosting
                  a cousin from Gram's village in Slovakia who's been
                  coming to church with me (I converted to Orthodoxy, as
                  that's what mom would have baptized me if Vatican II
                  had already occurred). Since my cousin is Greek
                  Catholic, she cannot receive Communion in my church
                  and has asked me to take her to a Byzantine or
                  Ukrainian Catholic church so she can receive -- it's
                  been a fun journey.

                  Caye