RE: [Slovak-World] Re: marriage witnesses--slight tangent

  • Armata, Joseph R
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
      For Roman Catholics, only one godparent is required for Baptism, but two are allowed so long as they are one of each sex. More than two are not allowed, nor are two of the same sex. There's no provision that the godparents can't be married to each other, but I think you're right about one reason why they usually (always?) aren't. Another reason might be to spread the privilege of being a godparent among the many friends and relatives.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
        All these are very interesting observations re: Wedding Witnesses. Most of
        the records for my paternal grandparents' village (and those adjacent to it)
        cover only marriages that took place between 1855-1895 and the marriage
        witnesses listed were *all men*. The comment was made about the witnesses
        being the "original godfathers". Wouldn't the "original godfathers" be
        those recorded by the church? To test that theory, I looked for a marriage
        record for a couple born after 1855 & looked at the names of the witnesses
        to their marriage & the names of the godfathers. In the bride's case, her
        godparents weren't listed in the church record of her birth/baptism (or for
        several others born in the same month) but it's doubtful either of the
        witnesses (both of them my relatives) was her godfather as both were only a
        few years her senior; neither of the witnesses was the godfather of the
        groom. BUT this is a theory/assumption that bears further investigation.

        In those same marriage records I found a couple weddings that occured on the
        same day in which one man was witness to both weddings, the groom of one
        couple was the 2nd witness to the other wedding being held & the 3rd man was
        probably a relative (same surname as the bride).

        We also need to think about the era in which these weddings took place. In
        Slovakia as in most of the world *women* (other than Royalty) were basically
        "2nd-class citizens" to their husbands even if though they did the same
        amount of manual labor (farming mainly) as their husbands AND took care of
        the other "womanly" duties -- i.e.: bearing children, doing household
        chores (cleaning, laundry, cooking). The same "status" was probably given
        to the women's involvement in their community & church activities.

        But just who these wedding witnesses were gives us something to research
        further.

        MARIANNE

        On 7/31/07, J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

        > I'm going through Slovak village marriage records in the late 1800s,
        > and finding that some names occur many times in the marriage witness
        > column. For example, one relative I'm tracking shows up 8 times
        > between 1887 and 1894, and I dare say I'll see him some more before
        > his death in 1905. Some of the weddings at which he was a witness
        > were of people with whom he had a family connection (cousins, in-
        > law's siblings), but for other weddings there is no apparent
        > connection by blood or marriage (and I have the family pretty well
        > mapped).
        >
        > The question has arisen as to whether we can make any assumptions
        > about these people whose names appear with much greater frequency as
        > marriage witnesses. Were they simply more popular? considered more
        > religious? In the case of the relative, there is no indication of
        > higher social status or money, although family stories say that he
        > loved to dance, so he may have been a friendly sociable fellow. In
        > contrast, siblings of his seldom appear as marriage witnesses in the
        > records, and when they do, it's almost always for another sibling's
        > wedding.
        >
        > One related question--these people named in the marriage records as
        > witnesses--always 2 men--would they have been the same as the best
        > man (druzba) and the zvac (inviter)? Sorry if it seems like the
        > answer should be obvious, but with the difference in time and place,
        > I try not to make assumptions, even for seemingly obvious questions.
        > So my question stands.
        >
        > Thanks for any insights,
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@... <jmm%40pathbridge.net>

      • Armata, Joseph R
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
          I've seen many hundreds of Jewish marriage records from the 1800s, and very often the sextons of the synagogue show up over and over again as marriage witnesses. I got the impression this must have been part of their expected duties, to witness marriages when asked and to make the trip to the registrar's office that day or the next to record the marriage.

          Joe
        • J Michutka
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:05 AM, Gregory J Kopchak wrote:

            > It seems that the same person was witness to multiple
            > marriages over years and based on age, was a respected member of the
            > community.

            In the case of my relative (and others I've noticed), their career as
            marriage witness began early--my relative was witness to 2 weddings
            when he was 18.

            Joyce wrote:
            Marriages were serious business, since sooner or later, or perhaps
            due to the marriage itself, real property rights were involved and
            inheritance rights,

            This is a great example of how easy it is to make assumptions,
            because we are removed in time as well as place/culture. I hadn't
            thought of Joyce's point--our witnesses are a social choice, theirs
            must have had legal (or quasi-legal) ramifications. Thanks for
            mentioning this, Joyce.

            Helen wrote:
            Was it a Slovak-wide tradition that, although the godmother and
            godfather could be married persons, they weren't supposed to be
            married to each other (mine weren't)?

            In my village baptismal records, it will sometimes note the
            godparents as "Petrus Slovak cum ux. Anna"--Peter Slovak with his
            wife Anna; other times, esp. with women, I'll see "Anna Slovak, uxor
            Petri"--Anna Slovak, wife of Peter (the -ova ending doesn't occur for
            women's names in these records until the 20th century). That one
            throws me, because I don't know for sure if the "wife of Peter" bit
            is just to identify her, or if it means that he is the other
            godparent (no other godparent noted in the record).

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

          • Andrea Vangor
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
              I remember wondering about this several years ago looking at records from Rank and Opina. I guess that the results were not conclusive, except there was more evidence for the popularity theory. You would have to go through a whole generation or two of births and marriages -- a great idea if anyone has time.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                And I plan to re-visit both the birth/baptismal & marriage records for those
                of my father's ancestors born & married between 1855-1895 to see how
                accurate the info about "godfathers" of the bride & groom is. In the first
                record I checked it wasn't but that may not be true of all of that same
                generation.

                Others who have records for this same period might want to check them as
                well. It may lead to some interesting future research!

                MARIANNE

                On 8/1/07, Andrea Vangor <drav@...> wrote:

                > I remember wondering about this several years ago looking at records
                > from Rank and Opina. I guess that the results were not conclusive, except
                > there was more evidence for the popularity theory. You would have to go
                > through a whole generation or two of births and marriages -- a great idea if
                > anyone has time.

              • Andy Verostko
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                  julie

                  regarding the two men whose names appear often in the mariage records....

                  The below info is excerpted from:
                  "Slovakia and the Slovaks, a Concise Encyclopedia".
                  Encyclopedical Institute of the Slovak Academy of Sciences
                  Gold Press Publishers, Bratislava, 1994

                  Wedding - Customs accompanying marriage. It was early in the
                  developement of the patriarchial
                  family that a wedding acquired complex ceremonies which stressed
                  significant economic, social
                  and family relations. The symbolism of the ceremonies stressed the
                  importance of family making
                  relationsand included a remeniscence of the purchase and/or abduction of
                  the bride, economic
                  hope, acts of reproduction, ritual purification, superstitious commands
                  and prohibitions. In the
                  Slovak Territory weddings varied throughout history and distinct social
                  and regional differences
                  are obvious. However the basic elements and functions remained
                  identical. The course of a
                  wedding was managed by "functionaries" which developed with tradition
                  (Wedding parents which
                  were a senior or mayor from the bridegroom's suite and a master of
                  ceremopnies from the bride's
                  suite) as well as the groomsmen and bridesmaids. The participants of
                  the wedding originally acted
                  as witnesses. The wedding lasted three days. The groom aand his
                  guests, accompanied by musicians,
                  went to the home of the bride. On his way, the groom had to overcome
                  various obstacles, a gate
                  was shut to him, some tried to send him away. He was told to ask,
                  through the senior, the parents
                  of the bride for her. The parents handed the bride over to the groom
                  through the master of
                  ceremonies.

                  The above is in reference to 19th century traditions and there is more
                  detail on the wedding customs
                  and ceremony and it seems that the two men were the intermediaries who
                  were very much involved
                  in arranging for approvals, dowery's and social compliance...

                  regards Andy V......

                  J Michutka wrote:

                  > One related question--these people named in the marriage records as
                  > witnesses--always 2 men--would they have been the same as the best
                  > man (druzba) and the zvac (inviter)? Sorry if it seems like the
                  > answer should be obvious, but with the difference in time and place,
                  > I try not to make assumptions, even for seemingly obvious questions.
                  > So my question stands.
                  >
                  > Thanks for any insights,
                  >
                  > Julie Michutka

                  > <mailto:jmm%40pathbridge.net>

                • Margo Smith
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 6, 2007
                    One of the topics that has piqued my interest from the beginning has been the selection of baptismal godparents and marriage witnesses. I have systematically gathered this information.

                    Andrea, I did not find any examples in which the marriage witnesses were the original baptismal godfathers of the bride and groom.

                    There were few in which the marriage witnesses were likely or certainly relatives of either the bride or groom.

                    I have come to conclude that several of the families were "prestigious" because they were selected as baptismal godparent or marriage witness so frequently -- some families were selected > 30 times!

                    Margo

                  • Sinbad Schwartz
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 6, 2007
                      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...>
                      wrote:

                      > One of the topics that has piqued my interest from the beginning
                      has been the selection of baptismal godparents and marriage
                      witnesses. I have systematically gathered this information.<

                      Recently I was reading "Tradicie Slovenskej Rodiny" (Slovak Family
                      Traditions), or rather the short English summary in the back of the
                      book. On the subject of christenings I found: "Christening was a
                      family celebration of the birth of a child, in which up to the
                      nineteenth century only women participated. The christening held by
                      women was characterized by free entertainment followed by he singing
                      of songs with erotic texts."

                      I could only trace my family back to the beginning of the nineteenth
                      century. In all cases, godparents were a male and a female, which by
                      definition is correct (up until recently). I wonder if the godparents
                      were a man and a woman and the celebration was only for the women? My
                      Slovak is too limited for me to go into the body of the Slovak text
                      and pick up the details. Has anyone ever heard of this tradition?

                      RU
                    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 7, 2007
                        Krstiny was the name of the celebration, not the baptism istelf.
                        The book says, that only women had their own celebration, got drunk and were
                        praising the Jano's rod.:-)
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 7, 2007
                          --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, <konekta@...> wrote:

                          > Krstiny was the name of the celebration, not the baptism istelf.
                          > The book says, that only women had their own celebration, got drunk
                          and were
                          > praising the Jano's rod.:-)
                          > Vladimir

                          Thanks Vladimir. Jano must have been a talented fisherman.

                          RU