[Slovak-World] Re: Finding a Hard to Find Slovak Book

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
      Actually, Greg, we don't use Dewey numbers (even though each book is assigned one during the cataloging process), we use LC classification numbers, but I get your drift.

      Page 110 has 9 drawings entitled "Coats of Arms of Slovak Landed Gentry in 14th [sic] Century: Erby slovenskych zemianskych rodin". The families whose coats of arms are shown are: Jezernicky (Turiec), Holly (Trencianska), Marikovsky (Spis), Okolicanyi (Liptov), Hadik (Zemplin), Bernolak (Orava), Klinovsky (Orava), Rudnay (Nitra), and Ivanka (Turiec).

      >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 08/01/07 10:42 AM >>>
      I passed the message to Barb.

      The Library of Congress has a big advantage over me.

      You use the "Dewey Decimal System".

      I use the "stick it in a box and put it in a storage locker" method.

      I am curious as to what is on page 110 and how Barb knew the info was
      on page 110.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      > Hi Greg,
      > The Library of Congress to the rescue! I have the book sitting
      right in front of me. If you'll give my email address <hfed@...> to
      Barb, I can ask her if she'd like a scan of p.110 or a paper copy.

      > Many libraries (if not local ones, then regional ones), subscribe to
      a database called "FirstSearch", which is a countrywide database (that
      includes some foreign libraries too) of library catalogs. It's
      absolutely wonderful to have this info at your fingertips. While we
      can't order things via ILL for patrons, we can tell them who has it so
      that their own library can order it (subject to the library's
      borrowing network).

      > Feel free to direct library and/or book questions to me in the
      future. We have a wealth of resources.