RE: [Slovak-World] Re: How to say hello to East Europeans in the US

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2007
      How to get acquainted with a stranger?
      Never ask a personal question first. This is brutal.
      Slovaks have a very interesting answer to someone, who was offended by a
      question:
      Vsak pytat sa mozem, nie? / I may ask, no?
      Nothing can be farther from the truth.
      One may not ask just anything. ( how old is your underwear, for example)
      First you must build some confidence by either talking about things that are
      common to you and the person at that very moment, like weather, his dog, (
      many people use dogs as an intermediary to make contact to a person), time
      of the day, his car, by asking the way to..., the crop, and things like
      that.
      If the opposite party is willing to talk, you can then get closer, but is is
      better to first tell something about yourself, and then ask about something
      similar to what you said.
      This is an art and could be explained in a book.
      Americans have another very interesting sentence :" I asked you a question."
      This implies, that the other party is owing you an answer. Not so. You do
      not have a right to get an answer every time.
      A question can sometimes be like a shot from a gun. Person dead.
      So, be careful and allow the other party to get over all the usual thinking
      processes in his/her head, before the gates will open a bit.
      After all, who are you to ask? I deal with this every day.
      Vladimir

      _____