[Slovak-World] Re: Slovak History and Books

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 30 6:56 AM
      When I came up with the idea of reading this book and discussing it online, I told Lou (with whom I'd talked extensively, along with his wife, at the Slavic Studies convention in DC this past November) about the idea and asked if he'd be willing to give the group a discount (thinking 10-20%, although not mentioning any figures) as a means of encouragement. His email came back with plenty of enthusiasm and encouragement, but no mention of a discount. He's probably not even covering his costs on this one.

      >>> "Gregory J Kopchak" <greg@...> 07/28/07 12:17 PM >>>
      Maxime had asked about the price of Slovak books.

      My spin.........

      If I print a couple hundred thousand copies the price is reasonable.

      If I print a couple hundred copies the price is outrageous.

      Most Slovak books sell in the hundreds not hundred thousands.

      We tried our hand at publishing several years ago.

      We also lost a bunch of money.

      Doctor Bolchazy is more than likely losing money on every copy he
      sells of the Slovak History at the current price.

      Doctor Lou uses his Latin Book business to subsidize Slovak titles.

      If you see a guy trucking around Chicago in a Porsche, that wasn't
      Doctor Lou.

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

      > I'm sure the book can be ordered on interlibrary loan from the local
      public library. The book looks very nice, on good quality paper with
      color illustrations. It's worth the $$$.
      > Margo
      >
      > maxine <maxine96@...> wrote:
      > Hi Helen, sounds good, however, why is the book so
      expensive? Can it be obtained in a Library? thanks maxine