Finding a Hard to Find Slovak Book

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2007
      Barb posted at Genealogy Czech and Slovak........

      I am searching for a copy or a library that has a copy of "The
      National Slovak Society, 19 Regular Convention Book" printed in or
      from Youngstown, Ohio 1946. Any help would be appreciated....... Barb

      She is looking for information on page 110.

      ==========================

      My reply was........

      Can someone help?

      I know there is an internet utility that will find a book in a library
      and if you register and enter a zip code it will find the CLOSEST
      library with a copy. Darned if I can find the URL.

      This is a small printing book that is hard to find. My grandfather
      worked on the book and most copies went to NSS members and many are
      now hidden or lost in a closet of the next generation or two.

      When I say hard to find, I'm not kidding. I can't find my copy but I
      did turn up some other interesting books from the era in my search for
      the Convention book and if I get motivated, I may put some great
      articles on line.

      Barb can also contact the NSS and see if they can photocopy page 110.

      I have a link to them at www.iarelative.com/nss1946

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative

      ----------------

      Can someone help?
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2007
        Hi Greg,
        The Library of Congress to the rescue! I have the book sitting right in front of me. If you'll give my email address <hfed@...> to Barb, I can ask her if she'd like a scan of p.110 or a paper copy.

        Many libraries (if not local ones, then regional ones), subscribe to a database called "FirstSearch", which is a countrywide database (that includes some foreign libraries too) of library catalogs. It's absolutely wonderful to have this info at your fingertips. While we can't order things via ILL for patrons, we can tell them who has it so that their own library can order it (subject to the library's borrowing network).

        Feel free to direct library and/or book questions to me in the future. We have a wealth of resources.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
          I passed the message to Barb.

          The Library of Congress has a big advantage over me.

          You use the "Dewey Decimal System".

          I use the "stick it in a box and put it in a storage locker" method.

          I am curious as to what is on page 110 and how Barb knew the info was
          on page 110.

          Greg Kopchak
          It's All Relative

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2007
            Actually, Greg, we don't use Dewey numbers (even though each book is assigned one during the cataloging process), we use LC classification numbers, but I get your drift.

            Page 110 has 9 drawings entitled "Coats of Arms of Slovak Landed Gentry in 14th [sic] Century: Erby slovenskych zemianskych rodin". The families whose coats of arms are shown are: Jezernicky (Turiec), Holly (Trencianska), Marikovsky (Spis), Okolicanyi (Liptov), Hadik (Zemplin), Bernolak (Orava), Klinovsky (Orava), Rudnay (Nitra), and Ivanka (Turiec).