Re: Dumb Slovak-World History Question

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
      > At what point and time did Slovak-World go on line?

      It was launched when we were 12 years less mature, Greg, in April 1995
      from the site of the Forest Research Institute/Lesnicky vyskumny ustav
      at Zvolen (now merged with other institutes under a different name).
      I repost the original announcement of its launch with the names of the
      two people who set it up below (I removed the e-mail addresses).
      About a quarter of the members subscribed from Slovakia in the first
      few months, but hardly any of them contributed and the topics were
      mostly Slovak-American from early on. The list had attracted about
      200 subscribers, most mere lurkers, by the end of 1995.

      The first Slovak-themed list on the internet was launched on bitnet
      and then Usenet by George Frajkor from Carleton University, Canada, if
      I remember correctly at the very end of the 1980s. It was initially
      partly academic, then became fairly active in the early and mid-1990s,
      but eventually turned the way most of the Usenet newsgroups did. It's
      called Slovak-L and is still in existence.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

      x x x

      Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 07:52:48 CDT
      From: Miroslav Gecovic <xxx@...>
      Subject: NEW: SLOVAK-WORLD - Contacting Slovaks around all the world

      SLOVAK-WORLD on xxx@...

      SLOVAK-WORLD is an open unmoderated discussion list for establishing
      contacts with Slovaks around all the world. It is not limited neither
      to territory nor to language. It is opened for all who have something
      common with Slovakia and Slovaks. We will be happy when this list will
      help you to find out lost contacts, join relatives, meet new friends...

      To subscribe send the following command in the body of mail
      to xxx@...

      SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD yourfirstname yourlastname

      Owners: Ivan Pobis xxx@...

      Miroslav Gecovic xxx@...