WSJ Article - Jobs In Western Slovakia

  • Bill Tarkulich
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
      In the 7/10/2007 US-version of the Wall Street Journal:

      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118403284979061688.html?mod=hps_us_pageone
      This article will be available for free only for the next seven (7) days.

      SNIP
      "HELP WANTED
      Shortage of Skilled Labor
      Pinches Eastern Europe
      As Workers Move West,
      Continent Is Losing
      Competitive Weapon
      By JOELLEN PERRY in Warsaw and STEPHEN POWER in Bratislava, Slovakia
      July 10, 2007; Page A1

      In recent years, global car makers have flocked to Slovakia, attracted
      by the Eastern European country's plentiful supply of cheap, skilled
      labor. But this year, when Kia Motors Corp. needed extra workers at
      its local car plant, it had to place fliers in local newspapers and
      mailboxes urging residents to apply.

      Near Bratislava, an area with so many car and supplier factories it's
      now known as Detroit East, rival Volkswagen AG is so short of help
      that every day it buses workers from as far away as 60 miles.

      "I have the most difficult job in the company," says Jaroslav Holecek,
      director of human resources at VW's Bratislava plant. "Every day
      people come to me and say, 'I quit. I'm moving to England.' We can't
      stop them."
      SNIP
      continued
    • Claudia Medvik
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
        Is knowing Slovak a necessary requirement?

        Automotive refugee in Detroit,
        Claudia Medvik