Geneology Question on the Scerbak Sokol family Ujak/Udol Slovakia

  • j_coulter77
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
      Hi all.

      Im a newbie here and i have some geneology questions.

      I am from the Scerbak Sokol family from Garfield NJ. I know that my
      great grandmother Yahanka (Johanna or Jennie) Sokol lived in Passaic
      NJ and my great grandfather John Scerbak is from there also, here is
      my
      question is there someone who can answer why this part of the family
      broke away from the Eastern Orthodox Church and joined the Greek
      Catholic orthodox Church ? I have asked everyone i can and i still
      cant get a straight answer. i hope that someone here will be able to
      help me out.

      Thanks in advance,
      Jennieanne Scerbak-Coulter
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
        Was there an Eastern Orthodox Church nearby in your
        Parish? If not, I would have joined the Greeks since
        the services are quite similar liturgically.

        But if you aren't Greek, you will never be welcomed
        completely by the their Orthodox Churches in most
        cases, as far as the social aspects of the
        congregation go.

        Sometimes it is a money issue as well. The local
        Orthodox church here was shuttered for a while because
        the Finance Committee got in an argument with the
        Liturgical Committee & padlocked the doors until it
        was all sorted out. I think two separate clans or
        families headed each committee.

        But crazier things have happened.

        What do the church records indicate?

        People join & leave churches for a whole host of
        reasons.

        CjW

        --- j_coulter77 <j_coulter77@...> wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > Im a newbie here and i have some geneology
        > questions.
        >
        > I am from the Scerbak Sokol family from Garfield NJ.
        > I know that my
        > great grandmother Yahanka (Johanna or Jennie) Sokol
        > lived in Passaic
        > NJ and my great grandfather John Scerbak is from
        > there also, here is
        > my
        > question is there someone who can answer why this
        > part of the family
        > broke away from the Eastern Orthodox Church and
        > joined the Greek
        > Catholic orthodox Church ? I have asked everyone i
        > can and i still
        > cant get a straight answer. i hope that someone here
        > will be able to
        > help me out.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Jennieanne Scerbak-Coulter

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
      • Joann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2007
          HI:

          Here is one for you all on the subject of churches. My grandparents went to the Byzantine Catholic Church in Morgantown, WV when they moved there, sometime around 1924. My grandfather told the story that the parishioners made fun of his old shoes and he felt ashamed. So, the family started going to the Orthodox Church on the other side of town, where I never heard any stories of any one making remarks about the shoes. Could this be the reason for some of the church changes in our histories. Was there a "status" thing among the immigrants?

          Thanks,
          Joann

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2007
            Still is.

            --- Joann <joannp1@...> wrote:

            > HI:
            >
            > Here is one for you all on the subject of churches.
            > My grandparents went to the Byzantine Catholic
            > Church in Morgantown, WV when they moved there,
            > sometime around 1924. My grandfather told the story
            > that the parishioners made fun of his old shoes and
            > he felt ashamed. So, the family started going to
            > the Orthodox Church on the other side of town, where
            > I never heard any stories of any one making remarks
            > about the shoes. Could this be the reason for some
            > of the church changes in our histories. Was there a
            > "status" thing among the immigrants?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Joann

            http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
          • Bill Tarkulich
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11, 2007
              It's very difficult to generalize why someone would move from one
              church to another. You don't say if they had a choice, if they moved,
              so there is no context here.

              The reasons are all very individual. In my grandmother's case, they
              moved to a region that didn't have one. I know another family that
              switched because they couldn't get to it on the bus line, but could
              get to the Orthodox church.
              From a membership point of view, there are many rules, but most people
              seem to gravitate to where they are comfortable, accepted and it is
              practicable.

              Bill

              --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "j_coulter77" <j_coulter77@...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15, 2007
                My Slovak uncle prefers to stay home & watch sports &
                drink beer from his recliner.