Dumb Slovak-World History Question

  • Gregory J Kopchak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2007
      I posted (What's New (Old) - Slovak Genealogy) today.

      I went on line in 1983.

      In 1995 we went to the internet.

      My first internet journey or before involded fris.sk.

      At what point and time did Slovak-World go on line?

      I know that Vladimir Linder made a deal with the Slovak Forestry
      service that made Slovak-World happen in the 80's/90's.

      Political problems got us bounced from fris.sk and made us move to
      Yahoogroups.com

      I would love a history of Slovak-World

      Someone knows,

      Greg Kopchak
      It's All Relative
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 2007
        > At what point and time did Slovak-World go on line?

        It was launched when we were 12 years less mature, Greg, in April 1995
        from the site of the Forest Research Institute/Lesnicky vyskumny ustav
        at Zvolen (now merged with other institutes under a different name).
        I repost the original announcement of its launch with the names of the
        two people who set it up below (I removed the e-mail addresses).
        About a quarter of the members subscribed from Slovakia in the first
        few months, but hardly any of them contributed and the topics were
        mostly Slovak-American from early on. The list had attracted about
        200 subscribers, most mere lurkers, by the end of 1995.

        The first Slovak-themed list on the internet was launched on bitnet
        and then Usenet by George Frajkor from Carleton University, Canada, if
        I remember correctly at the very end of the 1980s. It was initially
        partly academic, then became fairly active in the early and mid-1990s,
        but eventually turned the way most of the Usenet newsgroups did. It's
        called Slovak-L and is still in existence.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu

        x x x

        Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 07:52:48 CDT
        From: Miroslav Gecovic <xxx@...>
        Subject: NEW: SLOVAK-WORLD - Contacting Slovaks around all the world

        SLOVAK-WORLD on xxx@...

        SLOVAK-WORLD is an open unmoderated discussion list for establishing
        contacts with Slovaks around all the world. It is not limited neither
        to territory nor to language. It is opened for all who have something
        common with Slovakia and Slovaks. We will be happy when this list will
        help you to find out lost contacts, join relatives, meet new friends...

        To subscribe send the following command in the body of mail
        to xxx@...

        SUBSCRIBE SLOVAK-WORLD yourfirstname yourlastname

        Owners: Ivan Pobis xxx@...

        Miroslav Gecovic xxx@...