Re: [Slovak-World] My Favorite Slovak Restaurant

  • Gergely
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
      Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

      Just about any Italian Restuarant in Westmoreland County in SW PA will have Halubki and Pirohy on the menu. Go figure.

      Jack Gergely

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
        Hawley / Dingmen's Ferry is north - by the Port Jervis - Matamoris PA triangle w/ New Jersey. About 45 minutes north of Stroudsburg - Wallenpaupack Lake is about 30 minutes from the house.

        Gergely <gergely@...> wrote: Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
          Hi Noreen, thank you from ALL of US for sending us addresses of where we can eat and purchase "our" foods. Please, anyone else please send to "Rusyn Heritage" site.

          Have a question. Since I have only used this site perhaps a year, have you guys ever discussed Rusyns or know who and what they are? I just found out about 2-3 years ago and I was totally SHOCKED. I did not know what a Rusyn was let alone be one. My grandparents always said I was "Slavic" and to me Slavic was a person from Slovakia. Boy was I wrong. I did not know a Rusyn was a nationality with people from Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia and that area who lived in the mountains. I also did not know they have their own customs, language, etc. There is a very good possibility that many of YOU are Rusyn and do not even know it. Check out the Rusyn Heritage site and see if you are. Just a wee bit of info. maxine sasala, Perth Amboy NJ Sorry if all of you already know this, just trying to be helpful.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 15, 2007
            REPEATED MESSAGE Sorry guys-having trouble with my computer and I am not sure you received the following message, especially a thank you to Noreen. Also my question on Rusyns. Appreciate an answer- thanks maxine sasala

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 17, 2007
              Hi Maxine,
              It is a great project you have started logging all the Slavic restaurants
              and delis.
              When I visit my family in Virginia, we are hard pressed to find a place that
              sells any Slavic foods. There is one Russian store in Fairfax county that
              sells kielbasi and some Polish cookies and candies. That is about it. I
              cannot believe that there are no Slavic people in Virginia, but where they buy
              their food is a mystery to me.
              I picture your project like a roadmap with little dots of "good food
              places". :)
              best,
              Noreen

            • Margo Smith
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                I vote for U palatina, the restaurant located on the first floor of the manor house in Bytca where the archives are housed. Nice atmosphere and delicious food.
                Margo

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                  Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                    Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.

                    --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                    Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore
                    please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                  • J Michutka
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                      re: Bytca--well, it's in the extreme NW corner, but nowhere near
                      Zvolen. Try west of Zilina.

                      Maxine, go to www.mapquest.com, click on "outside US and Canada",
                      choose "Slovakia" from the pull-down country menu, and then you can
                      type in whatever Slovak town/village you please, and call up a map.

                      The only mediocre meal I ever had in Slovakia was in Bytca, in a
                      pub / restaurant just off the town square. Glad to hear there's
                      someplace better to eat in the town.

                      Julie Michutka
                      jmm@...
                      On Jul 27, 2007, at 6:54 PM, amiak27 wrote:

                      > Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.
                      >

                      > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                      > Bytca?

                    • amiak27
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                        Aw schuks,

                        I have driven & railed through there often enough I would expect to
                        get my Slovak ZZZ's straight by now! Thanks for catching that.

                        Ron
                        PS. For Harley motorcycle fans or others who have Harley drivers in
                        the family, just west of Zilina is the "Chopper Club Vrutky" where you
                        can stop for a meal or possibly a Harley Slovakia t-shirt.
                        Unfortunately it is just a few hours from my family, so I know I can't
                        eat there - I have to arrive hungry and I will leave well fed,
                        normally with 3 days of food supply to get me to the Czech Republic.