Re: [Slovak-World] My Favorite Slovak Restaurant

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 7, 2007
      Hello Maxine,
      Hope these Polish delis and Restaurants are useful to the list you are
      making. They were in a newspaper article. Theu are all in Passaic and Bergen
      counties in New Jersey, with the exception of the last one which is in Mahopac,
      New York.
      Noreen

      WHERE TO EAT

      GARFIELD

      Polish Kitchen
      324 River Drive
      973-772-1066

      Piast Meats & Provisions
      800 River Drive
      973-340-4722
      A second location is at 3 Passaic St.

      Polish-American Deli
      128 Jewell St.
      973-478-8140

      Golden Eagle
      452 Lanza Ave.
      973-546-2040

      Bania U Cygana (a bar with limited Polish take-out)
      175 Jewell St.
      973-772-4119

      WALLINGTON

      Chefski's
      360 Main Ave.
      973-471-4193

      Super Deli
      125 Wallington Ave.
      973-773-7277

      ELMWOOD PARK

      Podhale Polish Deli
      246 Market St.
      201-703-0065

      BUTLER

      Podhale Polish Deli
      1376 State Route 23
      973-838-3899

      MAHOPAC, NEW YORK
      Northwood Inn
      14 Frances Kiernan Place
      Mahopac/Carmel, New York 10512
      845-621-4222

      Hi, in "Rusyn Heritage" site, I have started a listing of restaurants,
      bakery's, meat stores, etc. for located across the US. I requested any listings
      from the Eastern European area because most foods will be similar. PLEASE feel
      free to add YOUR suggestions. I live in Virginia Beach now and must travel to
      my state of NJ to purchase the foods I am use to. However, when I travel I
      always take a cooler in case I find "our" foods. Therefore I had this on going
      list made up so EVERYONE can benefit when traveling. I always take the list
      with me and HEAD toward our great foods! PS On Rusyn Heritage site, Elaine
      has been putting the items on the list, I am not too good with the computer yet
      and she has been very helpful. PLEASE ADD TO THE LIST. thanks maxine sasala

    • Debra Strezenec
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
        Morning!

        Are there are good restaurants in Pennsylvania? We are moving to the Hawley / Dingman's Ferry area in August.....

        Thanks!
        Deb Strezenec

      • Gergely
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
          Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

          Just about any Italian Restuarant in Westmoreland County in SW PA will have Halubki and Pirohy on the menu. Go figure.

          Jack Gergely

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
            Hawley / Dingmen's Ferry is north - by the Port Jervis - Matamoris PA triangle w/ New Jersey. About 45 minutes north of Stroudsburg - Wallenpaupack Lake is about 30 minutes from the house.

            Gergely <gergely@...> wrote: Where is Hawley/Dingman's Ferry?

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 8, 2007
              Hi Noreen, thank you from ALL of US for sending us addresses of where we can eat and purchase "our" foods. Please, anyone else please send to "Rusyn Heritage" site.

              Have a question. Since I have only used this site perhaps a year, have you guys ever discussed Rusyns or know who and what they are? I just found out about 2-3 years ago and I was totally SHOCKED. I did not know what a Rusyn was let alone be one. My grandparents always said I was "Slavic" and to me Slavic was a person from Slovakia. Boy was I wrong. I did not know a Rusyn was a nationality with people from Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia and that area who lived in the mountains. I also did not know they have their own customs, language, etc. There is a very good possibility that many of YOU are Rusyn and do not even know it. Check out the Rusyn Heritage site and see if you are. Just a wee bit of info. maxine sasala, Perth Amboy NJ Sorry if all of you already know this, just trying to be helpful.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 15, 2007
                REPEATED MESSAGE Sorry guys-having trouble with my computer and I am not sure you received the following message, especially a thank you to Noreen. Also my question on Rusyns. Appreciate an answer- thanks maxine sasala

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 17, 2007
                  Hi Maxine,
                  It is a great project you have started logging all the Slavic restaurants
                  and delis.
                  When I visit my family in Virginia, we are hard pressed to find a place that
                  sells any Slavic foods. There is one Russian store in Fairfax county that
                  sells kielbasi and some Polish cookies and candies. That is about it. I
                  cannot believe that there are no Slavic people in Virginia, but where they buy
                  their food is a mystery to me.
                  I picture your project like a roadmap with little dots of "good food
                  places". :)
                  best,
                  Noreen

                • Margo Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                    I vote for U palatina, the restaurant located on the first floor of the manor house in Bytca where the archives are housed. Nice atmosphere and delicious food.
                    Margo

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                      Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                        Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.

                        --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                        Bytca? Have to put the State, Country etc. If you have anymore
                        please add so we can all enjoy. maxine

                      • J Michutka
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                          re: Bytca--well, it's in the extreme NW corner, but nowhere near
                          Zvolen. Try west of Zilina.

                          Maxine, go to www.mapquest.com, click on "outside US and Canada",
                          choose "Slovakia" from the pull-down country menu, and then you can
                          type in whatever Slovak town/village you please, and call up a map.

                          The only mediocre meal I ever had in Slovakia was in Bytca, in a
                          pub / restaurant just off the town square. Glad to hear there's
                          someplace better to eat in the town.

                          Julie Michutka
                          jmm@...
                          On Jul 27, 2007, at 6:54 PM, amiak27 wrote:

                          > Bytca is in the extreme NW corner of SK, just a bit south of Zvolen.
                          >

                          > --- In Slovak-World@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hi Margo, thanks for you input! However, where in God's name is
                          > Bytca?

                        • amiak27
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 27, 2007
                            Aw schuks,

                            I have driven & railed through there often enough I would expect to
                            get my Slovak ZZZ's straight by now! Thanks for catching that.

                            Ron
                            PS. For Harley motorcycle fans or others who have Harley drivers in
                            the family, just west of Zilina is the "Chopper Club Vrutky" where you
                            can stop for a meal or possibly a Harley Slovakia t-shirt.
                            Unfortunately it is just a few hours from my family, so I know I can't
                            eat there - I have to arrive hungry and I will leave well fed,
                            normally with 3 days of food supply to get me to the Czech Republic.