Re: Off topic

  • Edward T. Surkosky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
      I need some computer help. I need to get information from my old computer.
      The ventilation system went out over a year ago. I finally got a new fan
      installed. The screen comes up with all the data and then >>> Starting
      Windows 95. The command comes up >>> A:\> What do I enter or do to
      continue to open the program ???

      Ed Surkosky --- etsmred@...
    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 9, 2007
        Dear Ed,

        If all you want are the data files, e.g. word
        documents, spreadsheets, pictures, etc. I suggest you
        mount the hard drive in your present computer as a
        slave drive and copy the files to you present "C:"
        drive. If you are trying to recover old e-mail, it
        will be more difficult depending what e-mail program
        you used, e.g. Outlook, Outlook Express, Access,
        Netscape, etc. The data of those files can be copied
        but it is harder to get the e-mail to open in the
        correct program. You can read the e-mail with a text
        program like Notepad or Wordpad; but you will also see
        a bunch of formating information along with the text
        of the messages. Attachments are more difficult to
        recover when using a text reader.

        A windows 95 system should boot up without a prompt of
        A:\. Be sure there is no disc in the floppy drive
        when you start the computer.

        Reloading Windows 95 probably will make a mess of the
        data. It might be worth "upgrading" the Windows 95
        system to 98 or 98SE or even XP to get the programs
        working. But you have to be sure the upgradeing
        procedure does not reformat the disc or all the files
        will be gone.

        Dr. "Q"

        --- "Edward T. Surkosky" <etsmred@...> wrote:

        > I need some computer help. I need to get information
        > from my old computer.
        > The ventilation system went out over a year ago. I
        > finally got a new fan
        > installed. The screen comes up with all the data and
        > then >>> Starting
        > Windows 95. The command comes up >>> A:\> What
        > do I enter or do to
        > continue to open the program ???
        >
        > Ed Surkosky --- etsmred@...

      • William F Brna
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
          Quit with the cooking and gardening already! This properly belongs on a
          cooking and/or gardening web site. To say that this is of concern to
          Slovak World members is like saying that someone can belong to a Slovak
          web site because he once met a Slovak.

          William F. Brna
          Click here to increase your salary by earning an online degree.
          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nNfalWYFe246ynWIjl1vW8uEoB06kKUKYA36slp0c8fG7Ug/
        • fbican@att.net

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2008
              I don't think that talking about "...the kohlrabi that I plucked from my
              little garden today" and "the grape tomatoes are beginning to ripen and
              the globe tomatoes etc" and "the deer were apparently in my garden last
              night" and that you have "...come to hate those 'rats with hooves' " and
              "...putting a radio in my garden and "...the raccoons" and "...the
              loaded pellet gun..." has anything to do with Slovak cooking or anyone's
              culinary heritage.

              When Maura Petzolt took over this group from the Slovak Forestry, she
              would not have tolerated some of the crap that has been creeping into
              this group over the last few weeks. She would simply have deleted it and
              removed the sender from membership. Obviously, there are no restrictions
              on what anyone can send anymore. We have been treated to a person who
              was in Djibouti, were regaled with his prowess or lack thereof with a
              handgun and his transfer to Afghanistan, none of which has anything to do
              with Slovakia, Slovaks or Slovak-World.

              William F. Brna

              fbican@ att.net wrote: "Who put the bug in your bed last night? I'd
              hardly call talking about chlebova polevka v kohlrabi as being off-topic.
              Some of us do care about our culinary heritage. Klobasa, halusky, hoska.
              etc. They're all things I'm trying to keep alive, and they're hardly
              off-topic."
            • Edie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                It's part of any country, its cooking and food preparation, etc. It's of great concern to people who want to learn more of the Slovak culture and it's very interesting and informative. I vote to keep discussing favorite Slovak dishes.
                edie

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2008
                  Edie--

                  If you can find it, I highly recommend Jeff Smith's "The Frugal Gourmet on our Immigrant Ancestors" (ISBN 0-688-07590-8), copyright 1990. It's wonderful. I tend to gravitate toward central-European foods (Slovak, Czesky, German, Hungarian), but once in awhile I go for Italian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Mexican, Indian, French... pert near everything. There's nothing like being on a liquid diet for a half year during cancer treatment to make you appreciate how good food (any nationality) is.

                  I know Jeff Smith turned out to be a pedophile, but his cookbook is one of my favorites. Permanent place on my kitchen shelf. It's a great book. Find it if you can.

                  Kindest regards,

                  Skeeter

                  -------------- Original message from "Edie" <sando1@...>: --------------