RE: [Slovak-World] Re: Slovakia WWII

    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 6, 2007
      Keep asking questions.

      There are a lot of people on these lists who do not
      answer or comment, but just read & learn.

      When you ask, we learn.

      So thanks for doing it.

      --- "J. Edward Polko" <jedwardpolko@...> wrote:

      > WAY TO GO KIDDO!!!!

      === message truncated ===

    • Martin Votruba
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 18, 2007
        > I'm a little suspicious of it because Kirschbaum seems to
        > say that he would have done things differently and that he
        > could see that Tiso's policies were doomed, etc.

        I'd also consider it likely, Colin, that there was hindsight in it up
        to a point, but Kirschbaum, a graduate in Polish and Slavic studies,
        actually was removed from the post of the Secretary General of Tiso's
        party in 1940 after Berlin became suspicious of his stance and applied
        pressure on Bratislava. Although being an envoy to neutral
        Switzerland afterwards was a cushy job that also gave Kirschbaum a
        chance to ponder things from a different perspective, as well as
        remain in the West after the government he represented was defeated by
        the Allies, it was a demotion for him for his "political
        unreliability" at least in the Nazis' eyes.

        > the fellow who was telling the story and had been in the CS
        > government with Dubcek refused to sign the agreement ending
        > the conflict with the USSR while Dubcek did sign. I doubt
        > if it was as dramatic and clear-cut as it was portrayed.

        I haven't seen it, but Frantisek Kriegel, a medical doctor and top
        Communist official, was the only one of the Czechoslovak leadership
        detained and hauled off to Moscow in August 1968 who didn't sign the
        treaty there that was to legitimize post-facto the Warsaw Pact
        invasion. As a result, the Kremlin wasn't going to return him to
        Prague with the rest of the captives-now-leaders-again but they said
        they wouldn't go back and "behave" without him coming too. The
        Soviets found no other option and gave in. Kriegel was retired soon
        afterwards. It was highly dramatic and Kriegel's decision was quite
        courageous because the captives didn't know what would become of them.
        The Prime Minister of Hungary captured and hauled off during the
        Soviet military intervention in 1956 was later shot.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu