Scotland Via Slovakia

  • Martin Votruba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      According to British and Slovak reports, Dr. Khalid Ahmed, the badly
      burned driver of the explosives-laden car that rammed into Glasgow
      airport on Saturday, received his degree from the School of Medicine,
      Comenius University (Univerzita Komenskeho), at its Martin campus in
      north-central Slovakia.

      http://www.martin.sk/update/skoly/foto/zdravotna.jpg

      One report says that he was a British citizen (apparently born in
      Lebanon) when he started his studies in 1995, but that the
      arrangements for his study were made by a Saudi agency. One of his
      professors described him as an excellent student (although it's worth
      noting that grade inflation has been typical of Slovak universities
      for decades). He is reported to have graduated in 2001.

      One or two reports gave Khalid Ahmed's current age as 27, which would
      make him 15 when he began his medical studies and 21 when he
      graduated. That would be quite out of the ordinary for Slovakia where
      students go to college at the age of 18-19. Most reports do not
      mention his age.

      Martin

      votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu
    • Martin Votruba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
        A followup on what I posted earlier:

        > One or two reports gave Khalid Ahmed's current age as 27
        > which would make him 15 when he began his medical studies
        > and 21 when he graduated. That would be quite out of the
        > ordinary for Slovakia where students go to college at the
        > age of 18-19.

        It seems that now, 2-3 days later, the journalists and officials have
        also noticed the age discrepancy and are beginning to discover more
        evidence that Khalid Ahmed who studied medicine in Slovakia, and
        Khalid Ahmed who drove the Jeep with explosives in Glasgow are two
        different people.

        In the meantime, British news sources began to report that another of
        the terrorists studied in Slovakia, engineering this time. But Slovak
        sources are saying that they haven't found any record of him studying
        there, either.

        Martin

        votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu